How to Get Out of Inherited Joint Property Held With a Non-Spouse

By Marie Murdock

When a parent or relative dies, he may leave several heirs who jointly inherit his entire estate, including any real estate. Without a provision in a last will and testament specifying which heir gets what property, the real estate will be inherited in undivided interests to be held by the heirs generally as tenants in common. Any change in ownership of the inherited property will either be by agreement of the heirs or by court order, subject to the terms of any will.

Sale by Executor

Most wills direct the executor to pay debts against the estate first before distribution of assets to the heirs. If a purchaser is obtained for the property, the executor may be forced to liquidate to pay estate creditors before distributing any remaining proceeds to the heirs as directed under the will. If the will grants the executor the power to sell the property and all heirs agree, the executor may also execute a deed to a third party even if there are no debts owed and distribute the proceeds to the heirs.

Sale by Agreement

All heirs may agree to deed their interest in the property to one of the heirs who wishes to acquire the property. The heir purchasing the property may agree to pay the others their share by mortgaging the property or exchanging his interest in other estate property.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Disclaiming Property

An heir who doesn’t wish to receive any property from the estate may agree to disclaim his interest in the property within the time allowed by law after an estate is filed. The filing of a disclaimer in the estate is an heir’s way of declining his inheritance as it pertains to specific property or all of the property, depending on his intent. If too much time has passed, an heir will usually be required to deed away his interest in order to terminate joint ownership.

Court-Ordered Division

If the heirs can’t agree on how to divide the property, the court may intervene upon being asked to do so by one or more heirs. The court may order a survey to divide the property into parcels, one for each heir if there is a large tract of land, or it may order a sale of the property to a petitioning heir or to a third party with the cash proceeds being divided among the heirs according to their respective interest.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Transfer a Deed to a House if the Owner Dies Without a Will



Related articles

How to Transfer a Deed Left From a Will

When probate of the estate is almost complete and real estate remains in the estate, as personal representative, or executor, of the will, you may want to remove the remove property out of the estate and either convey it to the intended devisees under the will or to a third-party purchaser. Although title to the property actually passed to the devisees or heirs upon death, you may choose to convey the property by deed to clarify the county real property records.

How to Get Heir Property in Your Name if There Is No Will

So, your parent or relative has died without a last will and testament, leaving you as sole heir or as joint heir with other relatives. If no estate planning provisions were made for property to pass into your name immediately upon death, then the laws of your state as well as the desires and wishes of other heirs, may influence how -- or if you acquire full ownership rights in the decedent’s property.

Ohio Probate Law Concerning Property Deeds in Multiple Names With No Rights to Survivorship

Frequently, an estate or inheritance involves multiple heirs. If a last will and testament exists, even it may not define specific property by individual share. A personal representative, or the person appointed by the court to manage an estate, may deed property to multiple heirs as defined in a will or by Ohio state law. Alternatively, a property owner may deed property prior to his death to multiple individuals in an attempt to bypass probate. Whether deeded before or after death, Ohio law determines how title is held by multiple parties, either by language in a deed or by statute.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

What Is the Heir of a Deed?

Deeds transfer property. An heir inherits property from a deceased property owner. Inheritance situations usually ...

Quit-Claim Deed Before a Divorce

Divorces frequently include property division. Before a divorce and maybe even before contacting a divorce attorney, ...

Adding an Ex-Spouse to a Deed After a Divorce

Once a divorce is finalized, the law treats ex-spouses as if they were never married to each other. Protections ...

The Transfer of Property Deed Upon a Spouse's Death

One spouse may handle all business and financial transactions during a marriage, including the acquisition of property. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED