What Is the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act?

By Beverly Bird

The media regularly reports on cases of parental child-snatchings, many occurring post-divorce as parents unhappy with the custody provisions of a divorce decree flee with their children, taking the law into their own hands. According to the website Travel.State.gov, it happens more than 200 times every day. Parental kidnapping is a common issue during and even before divorce. For this reason, several federal laws have been enacted, including some that specifically prevent parents from moving to a new jurisdiction in order to establish new custody orders that favor them. One is the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act, passed in 1980.

Pending Proceedings

The Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act, PKPA, enforces jurisdiction in custody proceedings, including those involving divorce actions. As soon as you or your spouse file for divorce, the state where you do so establishes jurisdiction over your children. The PKPA doesn't dictate where you must file for divorce if you have children – the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act does that. After divorce litigation is started, however, the PKPA prohibits any other state from stepping in and issuing a ruling regarding the children involved. What this means is that if you file for divorce in one state and the court immediately enters a temporary custody order that you don't like, you can't take your children to a neighboring state and begin a new divorce suit – or even a custody action – there. The PKPA prevents the new state from making any ruling; it must give full faith and credit to the already-existing litigation. It must also enforce the other state's initial custody order.

Home State

Under the terms of both the PKPA and UCCJEA, your children's home state is the only one that can issue custody orders. If you happen to know that your state is particularly adverse to giving fathers custody and you're a father, you can't go to another state and file for divorce there until you establish the new jurisdiction as your children's home state. This means they must live there with you for at least six months before you file for divorce, or before you file for a custody order. Meanwhile, while you're establishing the new state's jurisdiction, your spouse can file for divorce in your old state. Under the terms of both federal acts, that location has home state jurisdiction over your children if they lived there for the six months immediately preceding the filing.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Emergency Situations

The PKPA makes an exception for certain dire situations, and a new state can establish jurisdiction over your case and your children in an emergency. This typically means you left your children's home state because either you or one of your children were in danger or physically harmed by the other parent. In this case, the new state can step in and issue an order to protect you or your children. The new state is the refuge state, not the home state, but it can still take action.

Other Exceptions

Another possibility is that if you leave with your children, the new state might be able to gain jurisdiction as a significant connection state. This means you and your children have some tie to the area, such as if you lived there for years before you moved to their home state. Significant connection states rarely have a part in divorce proceedings, however. They require that no other state has home state jurisdiction – and you can't file for divorce under the terms of the UCCJEA in any state other than the one where your children have lived the last six months, which is their home state. The PKPA does not require that states give full faith and credit to proceedings that are pending in other countries, or to custody orders or divorce decrees issued by foreign jurisdictions.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can One Parent Take a Child Out of State Prior to Divorce Filing?


Related articles

Can You Relocate With a Child Before a Divorce in Georgia?

When you decide to end your marriage, moving to another city -- or even another state -- may seem like your best option, but taking your children along can complicate your divorce and custody issues. Georgia has unique laws on parental relocation, but you can generally relocate with your children without the permission of your spouse until the divorce is filed, as long as you don’t hide your child from your spouse or refuse to let him know where you are.

How to Get Custody Back of Your Kids When One Party Leaves State Without Going to Court

When parents divorce, the divorce agreement will explain each parent's rights and responsibilities with respect to the children. One parent will usually be named as the custodial parent. The other parent is called the noncustodial parent and usually has visitation, also known as parenting time, with the children. In most cases, a custodial parent is not allowed to move the children out of state without the approval of the noncustodial parent. If a custodial parent moves the children without this consent, the noncustodial parent can file a motion with the court to compel the return of the children.

Texas Custody Laws on Moms Taking the Children Out of State Before the Divorce

If your marriage is in trouble but you haven’t filed for divorce yet, you may be in a vulnerable position if your wife wants to take your kids and cross the Texas state line. You can remedy that by conferring with an attorney and acting immediately. Both Texas and the federal government have laws in place that allow you to prevent this sort of thing, at least temporarily.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Interstate Custody Laws

America is a mobile society and it’s not unusual for spouses to decide to literally move on after a divorce or even ...

Custody Extradition Laws

Divorcing parents often fight over custody, and sometimes the custody disputes get so heated that one parent runs to ...

Moving Out of State in the Middle of a Custody Battle in Texas

If you’re in the middle of active custody litigation, Texas courts won’t take it well if you suddenly move out of state ...

Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act in Virginia

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act is recognized by 49 states, as of 2012, including Virginia. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED