Parental Rights Terminated Due to Child Abandonment

By Cindy Chung

Child abandonment can result in serious legal consequences. For some parents, child abandonment may lead to the permanent loss of parental rights through an involuntary termination by the state. If a state agency has taken a child into the child welfare system or placed a child in foster care, the child's parents may need legal help to prevent the termination of their rights.

Definition of Child Abandonment

Most states define child abandonment in their child welfare laws. Some states include abandonment in their definitions of child neglect. Child abandonment often describes a parent who has left the child for a period of time without financial support or information regarding the parent's return; state law often sets a minimum length of time that qualifies as abandonment. In addition, the state might establish child abandonment if the parent's identity has never been known or if the parent's location is currently unknown. Some state laws also establish abandonment as a form of child neglect when the parent places the child in an unsafe situation with potential for serious harm.

Child Abandonment and Termination of Parental Rights

Every state allows for the involuntary termination of parental rights when a parent places a child in unsafe circumstances. Each state's laws include a list of grounds, reasons that show a parent's unfit conduct, to justify the termination of parental rights. The state must usually prove at least one ground before a court can approve a termination. In general, state laws include child abandonment or neglect as one of the grounds for ending parental rights against the wishes of the mother or father.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Consequences of Terminated Parental Rights

If a state court terminates a parent's rights because of child abandonment or neglect, that parent no longer has a legal relationship to the child. However, one parent's loss of rights does not affect the other parent's rights; the child's other parent may keep parental rights unless the state terminates the rights of both parents. After the termination, the state may decide to find a home for the child with foster parents or arrange a permanent placement with a family. In addition, the termination of parental rights may free the child for adoption.

Appeal After Termination of Parental Rights

In many states, a court order terminating parental rights generally becomes final when issued by the court. In some cases, a parent might be able to appeal the decision. The procedures for an appeal depend on each state's laws — the parent might need to consult with an attorney who handles cases in the state where the court terminated the parent's rights. State laws often establish time limits for the filing of an appeal. For example, state law might require an appeal within a specific number of days or months.

Reinstatement of Parental Rights

A few states allow the possibility of reinstatement, which would return parental rights to a mother or father, after an involuntary termination of parental rights for child abandonment. Each state's child welfare laws determine the availability of reinstatement. If permitted, reinstatement might depend on whether the state has been able to find a permanent placement with a family or arrange an adoption; if so, reinstatement may be unlikely.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Is the Difference Between Filing for Full Custody and Abandonment?



Related articles

Laws on Relocating Children After Divorce in Illinois

A parent with custodial rights may want to relocate with the children after divorce. For instance, some parents move to pursue employment opportunities or to be closer to family members. State law uses the term "removal" to describe a temporary or permanent move with a child. Before the relocation, the custodial parent must follow the requirements established by the state's custody and removal laws.

Can a Divorced Mother Move out of the State of Indiana With Her Children?

The terms of an Indiana court order for custody often affect whether a mother can move away from the state with her children. The right to relocate may also depend on the other parent's custodial rights and any objections he has to the move. A mother who plans to relocate should understand the relevant laws and procedures required in Indiana. She might benefit from consulting with an Indiana lawyer who handles custody issues, especially if the other parent opposes the relocation.

Oregon Law: Can a Father Lose Rights for Abandonment?

Generally, proceedings to terminate a father’s parental rights are brought by the state of Oregon in juvenile court. While the state’s purpose for filing for termination of a father’s rights is the protection of the child’s best interests, there are reasons why a private individual may bring such an action.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Terminating Visitation Due to Incarceration

If your ex-spouse ends up in jail, he can’t have normal visitation with your children, but he doesn’t necessarily lose ...

What Happens if the Non-Custodial Parent Moves & Doesn't Notify Courts in Pennsylvania?

Parenting between two households may become especially complicated if one parent wants to move. When one parent has ...

Relocating With Children During a Divorce in Florida

When parents divorce in Florida, they generally need a court order for custody and visitation. Before either parent ...

Delaware Child Support Laws

Child support often affects the finances of parents going through divorce, custody disputes or paternity cases in ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED