Passport Held Due to Nonpayment of Child Support

By Mary Jane Freeman

In recent years, the Child Support Enforcement Program has added new penalties to the list of tools used to persuade parents to catch up on back child support. If you fall significantly behind in your child support payments, the privilege of international travel may be revoked by confiscation of your U.S. passport or denial of your passport application.

Child Support Enforcement

The Child Support Enforcement Program is a collaborative program between the federal government and state and local municipalities that assists children and their families with the collection and enforcement of child support awards. CSE is routinely operated at the state level, typically by a state human services department, or similar agency, with assistance from law enforcement and local family or domestic relations courts. Once an order for child support is established and a custodial parent requests CSE's assistance, CSE monitors and enforces payment. When you become past due, CSE's first line of enforcement measures kicks in. This typically include seizure of state and federal income tax refunds, suspension of driver's license, placement of liens on property and seizure of bank accounts, and addition of derogatory listings on credit reports.

Federal Passport Denial Program

When a noncustodial parent's failure to pay child support becomes especially egregious, harsher measures are employed. Once you owe more than $2,500 in past due child support, your state CSE notifies the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE). OCSE will in turn notify the U.S. Department of State, who then enrolls your case in the Passport Denial Program (PDP). Established by federal law in 1997, PDP prohibits the issuance and renewal of a noncustodial parent's passport. In other words, once you become more than $2,500 past due in child support, you may not apply for and receive a passport and any passport you currently have will be restricted and revoked. Once this happens, you remain ineligible for a U.S. passport until all arrearages have been paid or an acceptable payment arrangement has been made. Paying only enough to bring your arrearage to less than $2,500 is insufficient; the entire past due balance must be satisfied.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


Once your passport is revoked or denied for past due child support, there is only one way to restore this privilege and travel abroad: pay. Customarily, once a non-custodial parent's child support obligation becomes more than $2,500 past due, CSE will send notice of the case's referral to the Passport Denial Program. Additionally, if you apply for a new passport or renewal of a previous one, Passport Services will notify you that your application is being held for 90 days, pending payment of the past due child support. To remove these restrictions and restore eligibility, you must pay all past due monies or enter into an approved payment arrangement. Once this is done, CSE will notify PDP, which will release your name from their national child support arrearage list. If you applied for a passport or renewal and your name is released within the 90-day hold period, Passport Services will resume processing your application. If not, a new application is required.


Passport Services does not control the national child support arrearage list; therefore, it neither adds names to the list nor removes names from it. This is the responsibility of the Passport Denial Program. Passport Services simply consults the registry when processing passport applications. As a result, if your name remains on the list after satisfying your child support obligation, you will need to contact CSE and request removal. Only CSE can certify to PDP that your child support obligation has been satisfied and have your name removed from their list of outstanding arrears.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can Child Support Suspend Passports?



Related articles

What Happens When You Don't Pay Child Support in Illinois?

Every child has a right to receive care and support from her parents, and this parental responsibility doesn't end simply because a relationship or marriage ends. In Illinois, a non-custodial parent must financially contribute to the upbringing of his child by providing child support to the custodial parent. If he fails to do so, the custodial parent may seek help from Illinois' Division of Child Support Services, which pursues several remedies, including wage garnishment, property liens, revocation of licenses, interception of tax refunds and criminal prosecution.

Child Support Laws on Back Payments in Michigan

Michigan makes it hard for non-custodial parents to fall behind in their child support obligations because most child support orders include mandatory income withholding provisions. Under this system, your employer deducts your support payments from your paychecks and sends the money to the state's child support collection unit. The unit then sends the money to your child’s other parent. However, some parents have been divorced for some time so their decrees predate the income withholding requirements. Others are self-employed, so income withholding may not work. If you fall too far behind in your payments, Michigan’s Friend of the Court (FOC) will attempt to collect from you.

Does a Name Change Affect an Employee Background Check?

Whether you have divorced, married or completed a voluntary name change, a background check will still show any criminal convictions, civil lawsuits, bankruptcies and job changes regardless of your current name. Thus, even though you may have legal or professional records listed under a previous name, your credit and legal history will still be available to employers unless the information has been expunged or sealed from official record searches.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can I Travel to Europe if I Owe Child Support?

Adults are usually free to travel wherever they like – unless they want to leave the country and they happen to be ...

What Happens If You Get Behind on Child Support Payments?

If you've lost your job or suffered a financial catastrophe, chances are that you're barely able to make your child ...

Federal Guidelines on the Collection of Child Support Arrears

In 1975 Congress passed the Child Support Enforcement and Paternity Establishment Program, or CSE, in response to ...

Laws on Child Support Arrears in Nevada

Nevada’s laws on child support payments, including arrearages, are covered in Chapters 125B and 130 of Nevada Revised ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED