Is it Possible for a Husband to Divorce His Wife Without Her Knowing it in the State of Virginia?

By Heather Frances J.D.

You and your spouse don’t have to agree to get a divorce. You can contest a divorce he seeks, disputing information in his court petition. In the alternative, you can consent to the divorce to make the process quicker. No matter how you choose to respond, your spouse must provide proper notice of the pending divorce action or a Virginia court will not grant the divorce. However, if you cannot be located, the court may allow your spouse to serve you by publication in a newspaper. In this case, your spouse could get a divorce without your knowledge.

Due Process

Virginia law requires courts to observe a defendant’s due process rights in any legal action. Due process means you, as the defendant in your spouse’s divorce lawsuit, have the right to be notified about the pending lawsuit and the right to defend yourself. Virginia law establishes procedures intended to make legal processes fair for both parties. A Virginia court does not issue decisions until the procedural protections have been followed.

Personal Service

One way Virginia law provides due process is by requiring the plaintiff to serve the defendant with a copy of the divorce papers. Your spouse can have a process server or a local sheriff serve you. If you are willing to accept service by having the documents mailed or by going to the court to accept the documents, your spouse will not have to have you served. Any of these methods give you the opportunity to see the lawsuit against you and respond if you choose.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Service by Publication

If your spouse does not know where you live, he may be permitted to serve you by publication, but only as a last resort. If your spouse receives permission from the court to serve you by publication, it is possible you won’t know about the divorce. Virginia, like most states, allows service by publication to ensure that people can get divorced even when their spouse’s whereabouts are unknown.

Default Divorce

If your spouse correctly serves you with the divorce paperwork, even if the service is done via publication, he can proceed with his case. If you do not respond to the divorce petition, the court likely will issue a divorce decree and conclude the case without your input. This is called a default judgment and it usually means your spouse will get whatever he asked for in the divorce petition. It is difficult to reverse a default judgment after it has been issued and there may be a high burden of proof if you seek to have it reversed.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can a Person File a Divorce & Get It Granted if They Don't Find the Spouse in New Jersey?


Related articles

Filing a Divorce Notification for an Absent Spouse in Missouri

Missouri allows you to proceed with a divorce if you’ve lost track of your spouse's whereabouts, but you’ll have to convince the court that you did everything possible to find him. Like most states, Missouri offers an option called "service by publication," so you can notify your spouse of your divorce proceedings with a legal notice in the newspaper. It entails filing a variety of documents with the court.

Texas Divorce Laws When a Respondent Cannot Be Located

The typical divorce process requires you to serve your spouse with divorce papers, but you may not be able to get the papers to your spouse if you don’t know where he is. However, that doesn’t mean you have to stay married. Though it is more difficult to divorce when you cannot locate your spouse, Texas laws on service by publication and posting make it possible.

How to Divorce a Missing Husband in Mississippi

If your husband skips out on your marriage and disappears, it complicates the divorce process, but it won't stop you from dissolving your marriage. All 50 states, including Mississippi, allow no-fault divorce, leaving you to divorce on the grounds your marital relationship is irreconcilable. However, a petition for divorce requires you to serve notice of the divorce on your husband; therefore, you must prove to the court's satisfaction that you did everything possible to track him down in order to finalize the divorce.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can a Divorce Be Contested If Not Properly Served?

For a court to have jurisdiction over a person who is sued, the law requires that the person receive notice of the ...

Can You Refuse to Give Your Spouse a Divorce in Georgia?

Your spouse may file for divorce, believing the marriage is over, but even if you aren’t ready to divorce just yet, ...

How to: Divorce Notice for an Absent Spouse

If you’ve lost track of your spouse and no longer know where he’s living, you can still get a divorce. The law requires ...

My Spouse Is Unwilling to Sign Divorce Papers in Georgia

Filing for divorce is a stressful process, and it is not always the case that both spouses want the divorce to proceed. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED