Post Judgment Divorce Issues in New Jersey

By Stephanie Reid

Generally speaking, a final divorce decree is intended to be just that -- final. However, significant issues can arise after the divorce, which require the court's consideration and most commonly pertain to custody or support. New Jersey courts will rarely revisit a property distribution order, unless there are extreme circumstances involving fraud. Ex-spouses with post-divorce issues must file a complaint in the same New Jersey court that handled the original divorce, which is necessary to maintain consistency with the proceedings.

Property Division

In New Jersey, post-divorce modifications regarding division of property are the most rare and most frequently denied of all post-judgment motions. The general rule is that once a property distribution order is executed, ex-spouses cannot undo the court's ruling. However, the court may make an exception to this rule if a spouse purposely hid marital assets. Another reason a court may revisit a judgment post-divorce is when a spouse fails to act in accordance with a marital settlement agreement or divorce decree. An example of this would be an agreement that requires the marital home to be sold and proceeds split, but the party charged with this responsibility has refused to follow through with the settlement terms.

Child Custody

The court will review and modify a child custody arrangement if there has been a significant change in circumstances since the order was established and the change is necessary to uphold the child's best interests. The court will look at a variety of factors, such as discord between the parents regarding visitation, history of domestic violence, prevalence of substance abuse, stability of the home environment, preference of the child if age appropriate, changes to the child's medical or educational needs, fitness of the parents, and parents' employment responsibilities. The court will not modify a custody arrangement if there has only been a minor change in circumstances.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Child Support

Child support orders are driven entirely by the parents' combined monthly income and reflect the policy that children should enjoy the same financial security they would have had if their parent's relationship had not deteriorated. Courts strive to order an amount that will not only provide for the child's needs, but also respect the noncustodial parent's ability to pay. If either parent's income significantly changes, the court may modify the child support order. For example, if the noncustodial parent's income significantly decreases due to unemployment or disability. The court will also modify child support if the child's needs change.

College Costs

The court may need to modify a child support or custody order as the child gets older and circumstances change. One common issue is whether both parents are required to pay for a child's post-secondary education, despite the fact that the child has reached age 18 and is no longer considered a minor. Under New Jersey law, the court will weigh a number of factors to determine whether it is appropriate and fair to require both parents to contribute to college costs. These factors include whether the parents would have paid for college if they had not divorced; parents ability to pay; child's commitment and ability to complete college; child's financial resources, including scholarships and grants; and child's relationship to the paying parent.


Alimony modification is awarded after either party can prove a significant change in financial or personal circumstances. The court may reduce or terminate alimony if the recipient spouse cohabits with another opposite-sex adult or remarries. The court may also modify alimony if either spouse experiences a significant increase in income, such as an inheritance or promotion. Unemployment or demotion can serve as a reason to modify alimony, as well.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Modify Your Divorce in Oklahoma


Related articles

What Does Child Support Cover?

Child support payments are a ubiquitous feature of divorce decrees for parents of minor children. Non-custodial parents often wonder what they're paying for when they write a check for child support each month. The primary purpose of child support is not to equalize the income of the two former spouses, but rather to provide the children with the same level of economic support they would have had if their parents had remained together.

Spousal Retirement After Divorce in Arizona

Arizona courts typically base alimony and child support awards on the divorcing spouses’ financial situations at the time of the divorce, but when circumstances change, a modification of alimony or child support may be appropriate. A spouse’s retirement may cause enough financial change for an Arizona court to issue a modification of his alimony or support obligations.

Remarriage & Custody

Remarriage is usually not a reason for a change in custody unless other factors are involved. Parents naturally move on to new partners after a breakup. The fact that they have a child doesn’t change this. Unless the new relationship affects the child or his relationship with his other parent, courts are not likely to modify custody because of it. Judges are obligated to place custody based on the best interest of the child.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Petition for Alimony Modification

After divorce, life progresses as jobs and promotions are gained and lost, and health declines. Many changes affect ...

How to Calculate Alimony in New Hampshire

The marriage relationship is supportive in nature. For that reason, courts in New Hampshire are sensitive to the needs ...

North Carolina Modification of Child Support Laws

When North Carolina courts enter divorce decrees, they address topics such as child custody, child support and property ...

Modified Judgment of Divorce in Michigan

When Michigan courts make decisions in a divorce case, they base those decisions on the facts known at the time of the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED