Probate Court for Heirs in Mineral Rights

By David Carnes

Mineral rights are property rights to underground substances such as oil, natural gas and precious metals. While in most countries these resources belong to the government, in the U.S. they usually belong to whoever owns the surface. If you inherited mineral rights, the estate executor must transfer them into your name during probate proceedings.

Mineral Rights

Mineral rights allow you to extract and sell underground natural resources or lease them to others. These rights are normally defined as rights to resources that exist in deposits located under a specific parcel of surface land. The boundaries of the underground parcel may or may not be the same as the boundaries of a surface parcel -- a surface owner may divide his land into several sections, for example, and transfer mineral rights to separate owners.


When someone dies, his assets become part of a probate estate. If the decedent left a will, the will usually appoints an executor to administer the estate during probate and transfer its assets, including mineral rights, to beneficiaries. The probate court appoints the executor, who is usually named in the will, but may appoint someone else if the executor named in the will is an inappropriate choice, if the will does not name an executor or if there is no valid will at all. Heirs and potential heirs are entitled to dispute the decedent's will and the disposition of estate assets.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Transfer of Rights

To transfer title to mineral rights, a title search must be conducted by an attorney or a title insurance company to confirm the estate actually owns the mineral rights, and a mineral deed must be executed by the estate executor in favor of the beneficiary. A mineral deed is created when mineral rights are sold separately from the surface of real estate. A mineral deed identifies the transferor and the transferee. In an inheritance, the decedent's estate is the transferor and the beneficiary is the transferee. The deed includes a legal description of the rights transferred. When drafting a new mineral deed, it is best to refer to the legal description of rights that appears on the current mineral deed that transferred mineral rights to the estate, if one exists. The deed contains a warranty of title from the grantor and must be signed by the executor. The executor must record the deed with the local land recorder's office.

Mineral Leases

Instead of title to mineral rights, you may inherit an interest in a mineral lease. Such interests are defined as a percentage of the revenues derived from the extracted minerals. A mineral lease represents the right to extract and sell minerals for a certain period of time, such as 25 years. To transfer title to an interest in a mineral lease, the estate executor must execute a written assignment of these rights in your favor and record the assignment with the local land recorder's office.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Transfer the Names on an Inheritance of a Gas Well



Related articles

How to Write a Letter Deeding Over a Cemetery Plot

Cemetery plots are transferred as you would any other piece of land: via a deed or letter of conveyance. If you ever want to transfer your property to another person, there are certain requirements you must meet, such as notifying the cemetery and filing an application to transfer your plot. Make sure to be aware of the specific requirements of your jurisdiction -- you may need to write a letter, but by itself, it may not be enough to deed over the plot.

How to Write a Deed With Power of Attorney

A real estate deed is a document representing legal ownership of a parcel of real estate. To transfer ownership of real estate, a new deed must be drawn up in favor of the purchaser or grantee. Normally, the seller, or grantor, must sign the new deed to transfer ownership. However, it is possible for a third party to execute a valid signature on a real estate deed, as long as the seller, or grantor, has executed an appropriately-worded power of attorney authorizing an agent to do so.

What Happens When You Inherit Money?

If someone dies after having established a living trust, the trust assets won't go through probate. Assets, including any money that you've inherited, can be immediately distributed by the trustee under the terms of the trust deed. On the other hand, when someone dies and you inherit money under a will, you probably won't get the money immediately. The will must first go through probate, a process that determines whether the will is valid and allows interested parties to contest it.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to Sell a Vehicle in Michigan When Owner Dies Without a Will

Vehicles are often left riderless when their owners die, at least momentarily; however, riderless doesn't mean useless. ...

What Is an Executor Deed?

An executor’s deed is used to transfer real property from the estate of a deceased person to an heir pursuant to the ...

Can You Change a Deed Anytime You Want to if You Have Power of Attorney?

When you sell real property, the sale is recorded by changing the deed to the property. For various reasons, a person ...

Who Is Entitled to a Vehicle After a Person Dies If It Is Not Included in a Will or Trust?

A vehicle not included in a will or trust instrument is passed down according to a state's rules of intestacy or as a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED