Probate Petition Vs. Motion

By Valerie Stevens

Probate courts oversee the distribution of a deceased person’s assets and payment of debts. A probate petition is the document filed with the court to begin the process of settling the estate. Motions are formal appeals to any court, including probate courts, to make a specific ruling in a case.


An applicant files the petition with the court along with the original will, if there is one. The petition specifies whether it is for formal or informal probate. According to the Uniform Probate Code, informal probate is conducted when there is an uncontested will or all the heirs agree on what should happen with the assets and debts. A petition seeking informal probate usually nominates a person to manage the estate, called an executor or personal representative. Formal probate is necessary when there is a dispute about the will or when there is no will and the heirs do not agree. Formal probate would also be necessary when it is uncertain who the legal heirs actually are. Often the court will schedule a hearing to appoint an executor when there is a formal probate.


Most states have a probate petition form. The information typically necessary to complete a probate petition in most states includes the deceased’s date of birth, date of death, Social Security number and address. The applicant also needs to supply information on the family members of the deceased, other people named in a will, and the deceased’s assets and debts.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan


A motion is a formal appeal that asks a court to make a ruling or take some action in a case that is already opened. Most motions are in written form, but some are made in open court during a trial. Usually, a person or lawyer on one side of a case files a motion with the court and serves it on the opposing party. The court might hold a hearing or rule on the motion without a hearing.

Probate Motions

A few routine motions commonly arise during estate administration. A motion for extension asks the court to grant more time for the filing of certain documents after the case has been opened. For example, many states have a deadline for filing an accounting of the assets and debts in the estate. If the executor has not established the value of a certain asset in time, he can file a motion for extension. An unusual motion would be for a change of venue, or change of location, in a contested formal probate. A change of venue could be sought if someone challenging the will believes he cannot get a fair ruling in the county where the case is being heard.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Can I Decline Probate?


Related articles

Idaho Law Regarding Death & Probate

When an Idaho resident dies, his property may be subject to probate. Probate is the process of transfering ownership of a decedent's property to others. Probate courts appoint executors, also called personal representatives, who have the job of transferring a decedent's property to heirs. Not all estates require probate. Some estate planning tools, called will substitutes, bypass probate court. Trusts and joint tenancies are examples of will substitutes.

What Is the Purpose of Probate Court?

Whether or not you leave a will, your estate will most likely have to go through the probate process in your state after your death. Though state procedures vary, many offer several types of probate procedures depending on the size of your estate. For example, your estate may qualify for a simpler, quicker process if it has a small monetary value. The purpose of these probate procedures is to ensure your final financial obligations are paid and the remaining assets are distributed according to your wishes.

What Does Contesting an Annulment Mean?

An annulment is one way to end a marriage or a civil union. There is sometimes a misconception that an annulment is a "quickie divorce" and anyone has a right to request one; however, annulments are only available under certain narrow circumstances -- and the other party always has the right to contest the proceeding.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

When Will Heirs Receive an Inheritance After Probate?

Probate is the process by which a court authenticates an individual's will, and grants a personal representative the ...

How to File a Will & Family Trust in California

When a loved one dies, family and friends can be left with the complicated and sometimes confusing job of deciding how ...

What Is a Probate Sale?

When a person passes away, his property is generally placed into an estate and goes through probate. Probate is a ...

What If I File Chapter 7 Before a Summary Judgment Hearing?

If you are facing a lawsuit to collect a debt and may lose before trial because of summary judgment, filing for ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED