Quitclaim Deed & Divorce in Washington State

By Abby Lane

In Washington, like all states, real property, like a house, can only be transferred in writing. The document that transfers property is called a deed. Quitclaim deeds are the simplest way to transfer property, but they carry risks that other deeds do not. Unlike warranty deeds, where the person giving the property guarantees that she owns the whole property free and clear, quitclaim deeds make no promises that the property transferred is free of liens or encumbrances, like mortgages. By accepting a quitclaim deed, you are assuming a greater risk than you would if the property was transferred by warranty deed.

Quitclaim Deeds in Divorce

Quitclaim deeds are often used in divorces because they are simple, inexpensive, and usually safer than other transfer situations. When a wife transfers her interest in the property to the husband, the husband can be relatively sure that the wife has not attached any mortgages or other encumbrances to the property. This is true because it is likely that the husband would have been notified if the wife tried to encumber the property while the title was in both spouses’ names.

Quitclaim Deed Precautions

A quitclaim deed will remove your name from a title to real property, but it will not release you from any mortgage liability on the real property. The mortgage agreement is considered a separate contract and is not tied to who has title to the real property. It is important that your spouse refinance the mortgage on the property to her name alone before you sign a quitclaim deed or you could continue to be responsible for the mortgage payments.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Recording the Deed

After your spouse has refinanced any mortgages and you have executed a quitclaim deed, the deed must be delivered and recorded. The simplest way to deliver the deed is to give it directly to your former spouse. In Washington, recording the deed creates the presumption that the deed was delivered. You will record the quitclaim deed by filing it with the register of deeds in the county where the property is located.

Enforcing the Divorce Decree

Washington law does not allow you to enforce a divorce decree order that your spouse execute a quitclaim deed unless executing the deed is related to supporting your family. However, under Washington law, you could ask the court for a money judgment against your spouse for the value of the property not transferred. A Washington court could also appoint a special officer called a “special master” to sign the quitclaim deed in your spouse’s place. The special master’s signature would have the same force and effect as your spouse’s signature.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Filing a Quit Claim Deed in Florida After a Divorce


Related articles

Quitclaim Deed & Divorce in Massachusetts

Married couples often own joint real estate that must be transferred if they divorce. In Massachusetts, a judgment of divorce includes an order dividing the marital assets, including real estate. Quitclaim deeds transfer real property interests and are generally used to convey a spouse's real estate interests according to the terms of the divorce judgment.

How to Quitclaim a Jointly Owned Property in Texas

Quitclaim deeds don’t receive a lot of respect in Texas. Texas is a community property state and this compounds the limitations of such deeds. Under community property law, both spouses equally own everything acquired during the marriage. This means that only half the property can be conveyed by deed, unless both spouses sign it.

How to Get a Divorced Spouse Off a House Title

When one spouse receives the marital home in a divorce decree, it does not automatically mean that the house is now hers. The decree gives her the right to own it. Extra steps are usually necessary to transfer title into her name alone. The most common way to achieve this is with a quitclaim deed, transferring one spouse's ownership interest in the property to the other.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Quit-Claim Deed Before a Divorce

Divorces frequently include property division. Before a divorce and maybe even before contacting a divorce attorney, ...

Can a Divorce Decree Be Used in Lieu of a Quit Claim in Ohio?

When a judge issues a divorce decree, he usually specifies how personal property and real estate should be divided ...

Is a Divorce Decree a Conveyance of Property?

A divorce decree usually splits property between spouses in addition to addressing child support, custody and other ...

Quit Claim & Divorce Laws in Michigan

Michigan couples, like couples around the country, must split their marital property when they divorce, including the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED