Reasons for Contempt in Divorce Court

By Brenna Davis

Contempt occurs when a person fails to comply with a court order. Settlement agreements signed by a judge, standardized court discovery forms, judicial orders and direct requests by a judge can all constitute court orders. Contempt is a serious charge that can subject you to fines and jail time. In divorce proceedings, contempt can be used against you. For example, a previous failure to comply with a custody order may be used as evidence that you are unwilling to protect your child's best interests.

Discovery Requests

During divorce and child custody proceedings, each party may send the other discovery requests, such as interrogatories and notices to produce. You must answer these requests to the best of your ability. If you fail to adequately answer discovery requests after a lengthy period of time, or fail to produce documents the judge has requested, you may be held in contempt.

Courtroom Outbursts

Divorce proceedings tend to be emotionally charged and parties to a divorce may have difficulty controlling their emotions. Judges are unlikely to tolerate outbursts in a courtroom. A mild outburst will generally get you a warning, but if you do it again, you may be held in contempt. Extreme outbursts, such as yelling at the other party, can immediately land you in contempt of court. Some judges also have rules about cell phones ringing in court and may charge a party with contempt if her cell phone rings aloud multiple times.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Custody Orders

You must obey all custody orders issued by the court, including settlement agreements, temporary custody orders and final custody orders. Custodial interference can constitute contempt of court and is a crime in its own right in several states. This charge can also interfere with your visitation or custodial rights. Many states consider a parent's willingness to maintain their child's relationship with the other parent when making custody decisions; thus, a parent who has interfered with custody is typically viewed with skepticism.

Financial Issues

Failure to turn over property to your spouse when you have been ordered to do so may constitute contempt. Failing to pay child support is also a form of contempt. Judges may be more lenient with financial forms of contempt if you can show the failure to pay was due to financial hardship. However, if you are experiencing a hardship, you should notify the court prior to the time the payment is due to avoid charges of contempt.

Restraining Orders

If there is a protective or restraining order in your case, violating it may constitute contempt. Violating a restraining order is frequently its own crime. If you're not sure how to avoid violating your restraining order, consult an attorney.


You cannot be held in contempt of court if you did not know an order existed or did not receive discovery requests. You may, however, be required to explain how you did not receive the order to the judge. Violating an order with an unclear meaning is also not contempt. For example, if your custody agreement says that you have your child every fifth weekend, but it was difficult to determine if the weekend you kept the child was the fifth or first weekend, this would not be contempt.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
The Effect of an Order of Protection on Divorce Proceedings in Arizona


Related articles

The Fastest Way to Restore Visitation if Denied in Missouri

Section 452.400.1 of the Missouri Revised Statutes mandates that when parents separate, the non-custodial parent should have reasonable access to their child. All divorce decrees must include a detailed visitation schedule to ensure this. But, sometimes, things go wrong post-divorce. If your ex is interfering with your visitation, the Missouri court system provides you with immediate help. However, if the court rescinded your visitation rights, it will take more time and effort to restore them.

How to File Contempt Papers for a Custody Order in Pennsylvania

By its very nature, a divorce can be extremely contentious. For couples with minor children, interpersonal conflicts often simmer over matters related to custody. While the court will attempt to craft an arrangement that will best suit the needs of the child, one parent may refuse to follow the order. In that case, the other parent can pursue a contempt action to impose penalties and encourage compliance.

What Is an Ex Parte Custody Order?

Hearing both sides of a custody dispute is an important part of ensuring that the court makes an informed decision regarding your child. However, in some cases, threats to the child's well-being create an urgency requiring a judge to act without the participation of your spouse. In these limited circumstances, a court may act based on your testimony alone and issue what are known as temporary "ex parte" orders. States vary on the process for obtaining these orders as well as how long they remain in effect before a full hearing must be held.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can My Ex Delay Our Custody Hearing?

If you have a custody hearing scheduled before a court, the hearing will normally take place at the scheduled date and ...

What Happens in Court at a Massachusetts Custody Hearing if You Haven't Paid Child Support?

Your failure to pay child support can land you in hot water with a judge, especially with the judge who issued the ...

How to Dispute a Custody Evaluation

In contentious child custody cases, judges may appoint third-party evaluators to investigate the facts of the case. ...

Can You Go to Jail for Not Making Child Support Payments?

If you have been ordered to pay child support, perhaps as part of a divorce, then nonpayment can result in stiff ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED