Reasons to Vacate a Divorce Decree in Oregon

By Jim Thomas

Once a judge has signed your divorce decree, it's usually a done deal.. While it's possible to vacate a divorce decree in Oregon, it's not easy. The Oregon Rules of Civil Procedure specify the grounds a court will consider in deciding whether to overturn your divorce. There are a limited number of reasons and the court tends to construe them narrowly. Even false testimony or the concealment of assets during a divorce proceeding might not be enough to enable you to vacate your divorce.

Vacating a Divorce Decree

A divorce decree is a formal order that legally terminates a marriage. The court's judgment is finalized when the order is signed and dated by the trial judge and court clerk. A divorce that is vacated is formally set aside or annulled. Legally, vacating a divorce means it never happened, so the parties are restored to their former status. In short, if you filed for divorce while you were married or separated, you'll once again be married or separated if the decree is vacated.

Mistakes and Newly Discovered Evidence

Under section 71 of the Oregon civil procedure statutes, you can ask the original court that granted the divorce to vacate it on the grounds of mistake. For example, your case might have been filed in a county without jurisdiction to hear the matter. A mutual mistake by both parties also can be alleged as a reason to vacate the divorce. The discovery of new evidence that wasn't known or discoverable at the time of the divorce also can be the basis of vacating a divorce decree.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Fraud, MIsrepresenation or Misconduct

Oregon rules allow you petition the court to set aside a divorce decree if you can prove fraud, misrepresentation or misconduct by the other party. Proving fraud generally requires you to show that a false representation of fact was made by the other party, who either knew the representation was false or acted with reckless indifference to the truth. In addition, the false representations must be made with an intent to cause you to act in ways that are detrimental to your own interests. However, the burden of proof in Oregon is high and you must present "clear and convincing" evidence. A disproportionate division of assets, in and of itself, is not considered fraudulent, nor is the appearance of impropriety.

Inherent Authority

In an Oregon case involving visitation rights, In Re Samuel Andrew McLaughlin, the Court of Appeals wrestled with a provision of section 71 that gives state courts the "inherent authority" to vacate a judgment or decree. Case law in Oregon requires the petitioner to show that "extraordinary circumstances" require vacating the judgment. The court wrote that extraordinary circumstances "typically involve some sort of fraud or overreaching by one of the parties." But the appeals court added that a judgment that proves to be erroneous does not automatically rise to the level of "extraordinary circumstances," and thus cannot be vacated. In another case, perjury was insufficient to demonstrate "extraordinary circumstances."

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
The Florida Rules for Setting Aside a Divorce Fraudulently Obtained


Related articles

Can Divorce Proceedings in Arizona Be Stop by the Petitioner?

If you've already filed for divorce in Arizona, but the divorce has not yet been finalized, you can stop the proceedings. However, the requirements for stopping the divorce differ, depending on how far along you are in the process.

The Inability to Serve Divorce Papers in Texas

It's frustrating when the respondent in a lawsuit is dodging process, especially in a divorce case. Ordinarily, a divorce petition is served by hand-delivering it to the respondent. But the case can proceed even when the respondent is avoiding service of process. A petitioner can serve the respondent by having the process server tape the divorce petition to the respondent's front door, or by publishing a notice of the divorce suit in a local newspaper, with the permission of the court.

Changing Divorce Decrees in Minnesota

A Minnesota divorce becomes final when the divorce decree is signed by a judge, entered into the court record and 60 days have passed without an appeal. However, the divorce decree — including child custody and spousal support — can be modified after the decree is final, with the original court retaining authority to reopen the decree. Modifications, for any reason, require filing motions with the court and your ex-spouse will have an opportunity to respond by filing his own court motions on the issue.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can You Re-Open Your Divorce Case in Florida?

Divorces allow couples to move on. For that reason, Florida recognizes that the conditions existing at the time of ...

How to Vacate a Judgment on an Uncontested Divorce

Even though a judgment has been entered in your uncontested divorce case, you may still be able to vacate or set it ...

Consequences of Libel & Slander in a Georgia Divorce Case

Defamatory statements are untrue statements that harm a person's public image. Under Georgia law, libel is defamation ...

How to File a Motion to Remove a Judge in a Divorce Case in Connecticut

Judges are randomly assigned to a case by the clerk of the court and are required to be fair and impartial. However, in ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED