Reasons to Withhold Visitation in Virginia Child Custody

By Beverly Bird

Virginia law is firm that a child has a right to contact with both parents. If you deny visitation without court approval, and do it often enough, you could lose custody. If circumstances make it unsafe for your child to spend time with her other parent, you can ask the court to issue an order changing your visitation arrangement. However, it's not likely that a judge will deny visitation entirely.

Your Options

Depending on the reason you want to withhold visitation, you have a couple of options. If your ex shows up at your door to pick up your child and he's visibly intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, you don't have to allow your child to get in the car with him. If the courts aren't open, you can call the police and make a report. Otherwise, you can go to the courthouse, explain your problem to the clerk and ask for help. The clerk can tell you how to request an emergency hearing so you can ask a judge for approval to deny that day's visitation. If the problem isn't limited to an isolated incident -- for example, if there's ongoing neglect or abuse in your ex's home -- you can file a motion with the court, asking a judge to address the problem and modify your divorce decree's visitation terms accordingly.

Burden of Proof

If you file a motion to change visitation, Virginia law requires that you serve your ex-spouse with a copy of your paperwork so he has an opportunity to defend himself. The court will hold a hearing and the burden will be on you to prove that something fundamental and serious has changed since your divorce decree was issued and current visitation terms ordered. You'll need documentation and proof of why the situation makes you believe it's dangerous for your child to spend time with her other parent. The court will only change the visitation terms of your decree if a judge feels it's in the best interests of your child to limit her contact with your ex, so you might need the help of an attorney.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Likely Outcomes

If the court wants more evidence than your documented proof, Virginia law allows judges to order a guardian ad litem or court-appointed special advocate to meet with you, your child, your ex-spouse and anyone else with knowledge of the situation. The GAL or CASA then reports back to the court regarding what they've determined to be in your child's best interests. A judge might order a psychological evaluation of your ex-spouse, drug or alcohol testing, or a study of his home to substantiate the bad conditions that make it dangerous for your child to go there. The judge probably won't make a ruling until he has all this information.

Supervised Visitation

A Virginia court is only likely to deny all visitation from your ex-spouse if he's convicted of a serious crime, such as murder, manslaughter, attempted murder, felony assault or sexual assault against a child. Other situations might only result in supervised visitation. Supervised visitation can protect your child while still allowing her contact with her other parent. Virginia has approved visitation facilities where your child and your ex can spend time together under the supervision of staff: someone who is trained to monitor the visits and assist as needed. Supervised visitation is usually only temporary, however. It's intended to repair the situation and reunify your child with her other parent.

Visitation and Child Support

Sometimes parents think they're justified in withholding visitation because their ex isn't paying child support. However, child support and visitation don't legally go hand-in-hand. If you're having trouble collecting child support from your ex, you can contact the court or your state's child support enforcement agency and ask them to help you enforce payment, but you can't deny your child the right to see her other parent.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Checklist for Full Custody Hearings in Ohio


Related articles

How to Enforce a Divorce Decree Without an Attorney

Achieving a divorce decree you can live with is sometimes just the first part of the battle. Fortunately, the law is set up to allow you to compel your ex to comply with the terms of your decree or judgment, even if he refuses. Your decree is an enforceable court order, so if you reach out to the court, justice will almost invariably be done. It might take some time and effort, however.

How to Fight for Child Custody in Wisconsin

While most states use the "best interests of the child" standard in making custody determinations, Wisconsin has an additional requirement governing custody decisions. Judges in the state are required to assume that joint legal custody, which grants equal decision-making power to each parent, is in the best interests of the child until proven otherwise. Thus, parents in Wisconsin are less likely to find themselves fighting for visitation because visitation is always part of joint legal custody. However, physical custody – whom the child lives with – is still governed solely by the best interests standard. Parents seeking custody of their children must prove that the arrangement they desire is in their children's best interests.

Can Children Refuse Visitation?

While the courts will give a child's wishes more consideration as she grows older, someone younger than 18 can't refuse to visit her noncustodial parent. Unless visitation would risk physical or mental harm to the child, the courts won't allow her to refuse visitation without consequences for the custodial parent.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Colorado Law Concerning Noncustodial Parent Rights

If you're a non-custodial parent, Colorado is a good place to live – assuming you were divorced there and a Colorado ...

Can a Parent With Sole Custody Deny Visits?

If you have sole custody, you probably have a court order that awards you both legal custody and physical custody. ...

The Fastest Way to Restore Visitation if Denied in Missouri

Section 452.400.1 of the Missouri Revised Statutes mandates that when parents separate, the non-custodial parent should ...

Information About Visitation Rights

When you and your spouse divorce, it's unlikely that your child is going to live with either of you 24/7. The best ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED