Refusal to Give the Title in a Divorce

By Michael Butler

If one party to a divorce refuses to give over title to a joint piece of property, the process to handle the problem varies depending on where you are in the divorce process. Refusing to agree to give title over to the other spouse during settlement negotiations is handled differently from a refusal to obey a court order to give over the title.

Marital Property and State Law

In a divorce, all the marital property of the couple must be divided according to the laws of the state. Most states prefer that the parties reach their own agreement as to how the property is divided. The agreement is then submitted to the court for approval. Generally, if the parties cannot agree on their own, the court will order the parties to a neutral, third-party mediator to facilitate an agreement. As a last resort, the court will conduct a trial and a judge will determine how the property is divided.


It is not unusual for a married couple to own property jointly, even if only one of them uses the property. For example, a car might be titled in both of their names even though the practice is that only one of them drives that particular car. If the person who doesn't use the car refuses to give the title to the one who does, the person who drives the car normally should gather evidence to show that she is the one who uses it. This evidence can be presented to a mediator, who might be able to convince the other party that his stance is unreasonable. If the divorce goes to trial, the same evidence should be presented to the court.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

After Divorce

Whether the property was divided by a settlement agreement or by the court at trial, the property division is an order of the court. Both parties must carry out those actions necessary to effectuate the court's orders, including signing any necessary title documents. If one of the parties refuses to carry out the court order, the other party can file a motion for contempt with the court, asking the court to order the refusing party to comply within a specified time period or face other sanctions, which might include fines and jail time.


Generally, one party's refusal to follow the terms of a divorce does not relieve the other party of her duty to follow the court's orders. You should not retaliate against an uncooperative ex-spouse by refusing to meet your obligations, unless your obligations are impossible because of your ex-spouse's refusal to cooperate. If your ex-spouse is being uncooperative, you should contact a lawyer to determine the best options for relief in your state.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Change the Title as Joint Tenants in a Divorce


Related articles

What Does the Word Divested Mean in a Divorce Decree?

"Divested" is a legal term that means relinquished or dispossessed. The term usually refers to a surrender or forfeiture of property or authority. Divested might appear in a divorce decree in several areas. However, it normally appears only in reference to a court relinquishing jurisdiction or in reference to the property of the parties.

Can One Mate Refuse a Divorce in North Carolina?

In North Carolina, a spouse who doesn’t want a divorce can make the process take longer and cost more, but he cannot prevent it from happening if the other spouse is determined to divorce. You cannot actually refuse to get a divorce since North Carolina does not require that both spouses agree on divorce in order for the court to grant it.

Can a Divorce Decree Force a Refinance?

As a general rule, courts – even divorce courts – can't force someone to take on debt. But they can put you in a position in which you must do so to comply with another order. This might be the case if your divorce decree awards you the family home under the terms of an agreement reached with your spouse or because the court ordered it in a property division. You could find yourself in the position of having to refinance to buy your spouse's share of the property.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Happens in a Divorce Mediation in Miami, Florida?

Peace is to war what mediation is to litigation. When you or your spouse files for divorce in Miami, you have the ...

Can a Spouse Get Half of the House in a Divorce in Connecticut?

Your home may be the most valuable asset you and your spouse own, so it will be important for you to claim your ...

Divorce Laws on Refinancing

Divorcing couples have to find a way to split their assets, including the marital home, as part of the divorce ...

What Happens When a Judge Awards a Piece of Property in a Divorce Decree?

Even if you and your spouse can't reach a settlement agreement so your divorce must proceed to trial, the division of ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED