What If He Refuses to Sign the Divorce in Oklahoma?

By Denise James

The simple answer to the question is: Yes, you can get a divorce even if your spouse refuses to sign any documents. This is because it is not necessary for a spouse to sign divorce papers in Oklahoma. All the necessary steps for a divorce can occur without the non-filing spouse’s signature. A divorce can be an emotional and adversarial process, oftentimes to the detriment of all parties involved. Many divorces would reach a stalemate were both spouses’ signatures necessary to complete the divorce.

Procedures for Oklahoma Divorce

Procedurally, a divorce in Oklahoma requires only three steps: filing divorce documents, proper notification to all parties involved and presence at a scheduled hearing in court. Generally, the other spouse is notified of the divorce once he is served with the divorce papers, usually by a deputy of the sheriff’s office or another officer appointed by the court. If no agreements can be made, or issues are contested in a divorce, the court will hold a hearing. If one spouse fails to appear on that date, the court may proceed with the divorce and order a judgment by default. In Oklahoma, a default divorce occurs when one spouse is an all-around “no show” -- that is, he doesn’t sign any divorce paperwork or participate in the divorce proceedings, including any hearings.

Time is of the Essence

Any documents filed with the court have specific timelines for the other party to respond or take action. Once a spouse refuses to respond within the appropriate time, the court may proceed without that person's consent. Simply put, the non-filing spouse may ignore the divorce documents or completely refuse to sign anything, but once the required time period has passed, the filing party will be granted a “default” divorce, regardless. However, even if the court grants a default divorce to one spouse, the other spouse may file a motion to vacate the judgment within a certain period of time if she can provide an adequate reason for the default.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Vacating a Default Divorce

The court might vacate a default divorce for various reasons, such as the spouse being hospitalized. Usually, a court will grant a spouse's motion to vacate a default divorce because courts want to decide cases on their facts with the participation of both parties, especially when families and children are involved. Even when a divorce is by mutual consent, when minor children are involved, there will be a 90-day waiting period before a divorce can be finalized.

"Missing" Spouse

Sometimes, the spouse filing for divorce is unable to adequately serve her spouse with the divorce paperwork, as required by the court, because she either does not know his whereabouts or he purposefully avoids service of the documents. As long as the spouse filing for divorce has made an honest and reasonable effort to locate her missing spouse, Oklahoma courts will still allow the divorce.


All court filings in Oklahoma require appropriate filing fees and divorce papers are no exception. Fees vary depending on whether there are minor children and whether the filing spouse wishes the court to serve the non-filing spouse with the divorce documents. The filing fees are paid when the divorce papers are filed.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Do Both Parties Have to Sign the Divorce Papers?



Related articles

How to Get a Divorce Without Spouse Consent

In the past, both spouses had to agree to a divorce in some circumstances. This could delay a divorce or make it complicated. Some people still believe that this is the case. However, you can get a divorce without the consent of your spouse in every state. Contrary to the myth, one spouse's lack of consent does not normally delay or complicate a divorce.

What to Do If Your Spouse Filed an Uncontested Divorce & You Did Not Know?

A divorce doesn't start out as uncontested – it ends that way. In most states, uncontested simply means that spouses have reached an agreement on all issues so they can divorce without a trial. In some states, however, it can also mean that the defending spouse has done nothing toward taking an active part in the proceedings. If this happens to you because you're unaware that your spouse has filed for divorce, you often have recourse.

My Spouse Is Unwilling to Sign Divorce Papers in Georgia

Filing for divorce is a stressful process, and it is not always the case that both spouses want the divorce to proceed. A party to a divorce may have many reasons to refuse to sign the divorce papers, including anger or frustration. But you can still obtain a divorce in Georgia even if your spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File for Divorce in New Mexico When a Spouse Won't Sign

No matter his reason, your spouse cannot legally force you to stay married in New Mexico. Some spouses will not sign an ...

What Happens in Minnesota If a Divorce Becomes Defaulted?

In Minnesota, a divorce defaults when one spouse refuses or neglects to become legally involved in the process. If he ...

What Happens If Divorce Papers Go Unsigned?

During the divorce process, the court and individual spouses’ attorneys ask both parties to sign agreements, petitions ...

My Spouse Wants a Divorce But I Don't: Do I Still Have to Pay for the Paperwork Fees?

Each state creates its own divorce laws and procedures. Thus, the exact rules and process for dissolving a marriage ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED