What Does Relief Requested Mean in Divorce?

By Mike Broemmel

"Requested relief" is not just a widely used legal term, it also represents a major, necessary element of many pleadings -- the legal paperwork -- prepared and used in your divorce case. In simplest terms, "requested relief" is what you are asking the court to do with regard to your case.

Relief Requested in Preliminary Documents

A divorce case begins with the filing of a petition. The petition sets forth the basic elements of your divorce case, including basic information about the spouses. The heart of a petition is the relief requested -- what you want the court to do. For example, the typical divorce petition requests the court to enter orders relating to the division of property and debt, child custody and support, and alimony.

Relief Requested in Motions

Once divorce proceedings start, the court addresses different issues through motions filed by the parties. Motions represent the formal or official way each spouse communicates with each other and the judge in divorce court. Motions also must contain a request for relief, because they describe what you want to occur. For example, when a motion is filed seeking temporary custody of the children while the divorce case is pending, the motion must make that request of the court.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Failure to Request or Pray for Relief

Although courts do grant some leeway when necessary items are left out of petitions and motions, if you leave out your request for relief, the court has nothing to act upon. Technically speaking, it means you are not asking the court to do anything. If you consistently submit documents without including your requested belief, it's possible that a court could find you in contempt or dismiss your case. A court clerk may also decline to file a petition lacking a request for relief.

Relief Requested in a Default Divorce

A default divorce case is one in which the spouse being sued for divorce does not file a response with the court. Provided that you filed your papers and followed procedures correctly, your spouse's failure to respond will not stop your divorce from proceeding. Instead, a default decree of divorce is typically entered by the court after a prescribed period of time passes. In the event of a default, you are generally entitled to all of the relief you requested in the petition filed at the start of the proceedings, because your spouse's lack of a response is interpreted as agreement with all your requests.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Motion Vs. Petition



Related articles

How to Get a Free Copy of Divorce Records

Whenever parties are involved in a divorce action, the clerk of court will create a permanent record of every document filed by the attorneys or parties that represented themselves. Thanks to the new wave in court technology, most record searches can be conducted online. However, in some instances a request will have to be conducted in person or via mail.

Default Judgments in Kansas in a Divorce

By the time you get ready to file for divorce, you and your spouse may not be getting along well enough to cooperate during the divorce proceeding. Your spouse may decide to ignore the divorce paperwork you filed, thinking that will stop the divorce or make you angry. Unfortunately for your spouse, Kansas courts can grant default judgments in divorce cases, giving you a divorce even when your spouse does not want to participate in the process.

What Happens After You Sign & Notarize Your Divorce Documents?

Each state has unique laws regarding divorce and family law matters, so the actual process of preparing and filing divorce documents is determined by state civil procedure laws and local court rules. The term "divorce documents" may include the petition or complaint for divorce, motions for support and custody, stipulated property divisions, and final settlements and decrees. In general, divorce documents are commonly referred to as “pleadings” or “court filings."

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can You Just Not Do Anything in a Divorce if You Are the Respondent?

Your spouse is required to serve you with divorce papers after she files for divorce, including her divorce petition, ...

Can the Opposing Party File for Decree of Divorce?

An opposing party in a divorce case is called the respondent, because he responds to the initial petition that begins ...

Why Should One File a Counter Suit in a Texas Divorce?

If you are going through a divorce in Texas and do not know the laws, it may make an already difficult process more ...

What Happens in Minnesota If a Divorce Becomes Defaulted?

In Minnesota, a divorce defaults when one spouse refuses or neglects to become legally involved in the process. If he ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED