How to Relinquish Custody for the Purpose of Military Enlistment

By Brenna Davis

Military enlistment and the possibility of deployment can radically alter family relationships. If you are facing the possibility of deployment after enlisting in the military, you may need to temporarily relinquish custody of your child, and discussing custody arrangements with the child's temporary guardian or other parent prior to deployment can make the process easier. If your relationship with the child's other parent is strained, you may wish to consult a family lawyer with experience in military law.

Step 1

Talk to your child's other parent about giving her temporary custody. If your child's other parent is willing to take on the responsibility of caring for the child and is a competent caregiver, most states will require you to give her the opportunity to take custody. If the other parent is not available, a family member or close friend who has a good relationship with the child may be a good choice. Discuss guardianship with the potential guardian; you will need this person's consent to relinquish custody to him.

Step 2

File a motion to change custody and consent order signed by both parents. A motion is a request for a change, and a consent order is an agreement signed by both parties that is then signed by a judge. Most states have forms on their websites. You can also obtain a form from the court clerk. Most states require that a parenting plan -- also available from the court clerk -- is attached to changes of custody. However, because you will be relinquishing custody completely, you do not need to fill out the section on visitation. Simply note on the parenting plan that the other parent will have sole custody during your enlistment. The consent order and motion should make it explicitly clear that the custodial change is temporary. If you know how long you will be deployed, the change should last for that period of time. If you are unsure, include language such as, "Temporary custody change will last until such time as parent is released from deployment."

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Complete a consent order granting temporary guardianship to your child's proposed guardian if the other parent is not available. The guardian must also file a motion requesting temporary guardianship. File the consent order and motion with the clerk of court in the county where your child resides. If you are not appointing the other parent as guardian because the parent is unfit, you must serve the other parent with the guardianship request. In most states, the court clerk will have the sheriff serve these papers for you if you complete a service form. In some states, however, you must serve them yourself, either by hiring a process server or mailing the paperwork via certified mail, return receipt requested.

Step 4

Establish support for your child while you are deployed. If you appoint a guardian, you should set up a way to pay the child's expenses, such as through a trust, by paying child support or sending a certain amount of money home each month. If you are relinquishing custody to the child's other parent, you will likely have to pay child support according to your state's child support guidelines.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Do You Have to Go to Court to Give Someone Power of Attorney Over a Minor?



Related articles

Can You Give Up Legal Custody of Your Grandchildren?

One in ten of all American children now live with a grandparent, according to a 2010 Pew Research Center report. If you are a grandparent with legal custody of your grandchildren, you can give up custody for a wide variety of reasons.

How to Legally Change Your Name in Arizona?

In Arizona it is a fairly simple process to change your name. If you do not like the name you were born with, or you want to use your maiden name after getting a divorce, you can apply to your local clerk of the court of the Arizona Superior Court for a name change.

How to Petition the Court for Custody

Custody of a child generally gives an adult the right to provide for the minor's daily care and education. This custody can be legal, physical or both. Physical custody can be either full-time or be divided with another parent or caregiver. While a child's natural parents are the most common parties to petition for custody of a child, in some instances, grandparents or other relatives with close relationships may share custody with a parent who is hospitalized or incarcerated. Likewise, if a child's relative raised a child for a significant portion of her life, that relative may have a claim to custody if a parent becomes ill or unable to care for the child. To request legal custody of a minor child, you generally will need to petition the court and attend a hearing in front of a judge. That said, the exact process for petitioning the court for custody varies between jurisdictions, so it is important to understand your state's law before beginning any legal proceedings.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Can My Ex-Husband Stop Child Support If He Has the Kids While I'm Deployed?

If you were in the military at the time of your divorce, it's possible that your original custody and support orders ...

How to Establish a Guardian for the Children When Both Biological Parents Are Divorced

Parents have a constitutional right to the "care, custody and control" of their children as stated by the United States ...

How to Relinquish Custodial Rights in Tennessee

The decision to relinquish custodial rights is one that can dramatically affect the life of your child. If you are ...

Power of Attorney for Consent to Medical Care of a Minor

Adults can consent to their own medical care, generally without the need for anyone else's input. But ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED