How to Relinquish the Title & Financial Responsibility of Real Property During Divorce in California

By Jennifer Williams

Equal division of real property, such as the marital residence, in a California divorce often means the home is sold and proceeds divided according to the court's instructions. This is especially true if there is a mortgage on the property that both spouses are responsible for. However, it is possible to relinquish title and financial responsibility for the property, effectively allowing your spouse to buy you out of the jointly owned real property.

Step 1

Negotiate with your spouse. Agree that he will retain the marital home by taking title and assuming full financial responsibility. In exchange, agree that he will pay you one-half of the home's current value - your share of the marital property. Alternatively, he can compensate you with other marital property of the same value.

Step 2

Agree how the current mortgage will be paid while you wait for your spouse to qualify for a mortgage in his name alone. You may need to continue paying half the mortgage until his closing as both of you continue to be responsible for payment, in the eyes of the lender, until your spouse closes on his own mortgage.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Execute a quitclaim deed to your spouse. In a quitclaim deed, you relinquish all ownership rights in the property to your spouse. You can obtain a quitclaim deed form from your county assessor's office or from an online legal document provider. Complete the form according to the instructions provided. In California, requirements for a quitclaim deed vary from county to county, but generally the relinquishing spouse must sign it before a notary and have it notarized, which includes providing a thumbprint.

Step 4

Inform your spouse that the California Revenue and Taxation Code requires him to file a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report with the assessor's office in the county where the property is located. Obtain the form from the county assessor's office. The retaining spouse must fill it out according to its instructions, sign it before a notary and have it notarized.

Step 5

File the quitclaim deed and Preliminary Change of Ownership Report with the county recorder's office. Either party may file the documents. A filing fee may be required at the time of filing. Regardless of which spouse files the documents, he or she should request file-stamped copies of both documents for each spouse's personal records. If the Preliminary Change of Ownership Report is not filed with the quitclaim deed, it must be filed within 90 days of its execution.

Step 6

Execute the Change of Ownership Statement sent by the county assessor's office if one is received. Usually the assessor's office only sends out a Change of Ownership Statement if the Preliminary Change of Ownership Report is incomplete or not filed correctly. Fill out the statement according to its instructions and send it back to the county assessor's office.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Quit Claim & Divorce Laws in Michigan


Related articles

How to Buy Out an Ex in a Divorce

You've worked hard for what you have, and divorce can make you feel like you're losing everything. If you want to keep an asset you own jointly with your spouse, such as your home, you may be able to make a deal to buy her out. A buy out can be a win-win for you both; you get to keep an asset that's important to you, and she walks away with the value of her share in cash.

Can My Husband Sell Our House if We Are Not Legally Separated and My Name Is Not on the House Deed?

Marriage is more than a romantic commitment. It creates a new legal entity -- the union of the husband and the wife -- that sometimes affects the financial aspect of a relationship. Tax filing status and property ownership are two aspects of a couple's financial life that marriage can affect. The state law where a couple lives determines exactly how a marriage affects property ownership.

Deleting an Owner From a Certificate of Title in a Divorce in Colorado

When a married couple splits up in Colorado, their property is also split between them. The judge's order of dissolution indicates which party is awarded ownership of a vehicle held jointly by the couple, yet this does not automatically change the title. The couple must transfer vehicle ownership with the Department of Revenue.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Transfer a Title From a Divorce in Ohio

As in any other state, divorcing Ohio spouses must arrive at a property settlement, either on their own or as imposed ...

How do I Change a Quit Claim Deed in New Hampshire After a Divorce is Final?

A quitclaim deed conveys title to New Hampshire real estate without the guarantees typically included in a warranty ...

How to Write a Deed With Power of Attorney

A real estate deed is a document representing legal ownership of a parcel of real estate. To transfer ownership of real ...

How to Transfer Property to an LLC

For a number of reasons, you may choose to transfer real estate or other property into an LLC. You may decide to change ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED