How to Return to a Maiden Name After the Death of a Spouse

By Marie Murdock

After the grieving process is complete, a widow may decide to re-quire her maiden name. This may be especially true if she married late in life and lost her husband a few years after marriage. Unlike a divorce, where the divorce decree may state that a wife returns to her maiden name, a death certificate for a spouse does no more than briefly mention the name of the surviving spouse, leaving the widow to take further action, if desired, to resume her maiden name.

Step 1

Search online for your state or county court website. Depending on the state, name change actions may be filed in superior, family or probate courts. If forms are not available online, contact an attorney or the court clerk for forms and/or assistance.

Step 2

Complete and print the fillable petition online or print the blank forms for completion by hand or typewriter later. Most state petitions will require that you declare your full current name, the full name that you wish to acquire and that you are not changing your name to avoid creditors. Some state petitions will further require statements that you have not been convicted of a crime, do not have pending criminal charges and you are not a registered sex offender. If any of these apply, additional steps, or even a different process, may be required, and your petition could be denied.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

File the name change petition along with completed civil action cover sheets, proposed orders and the final decree, available on the site. Although you may be required to fill in limited information on the orders and the decree, these forms will be finalized by the court. Pay any filing fees due, which, depending on the state, may include publication charges if the clerk of your court is responsible for mailing the order or notice to the local newspaper.

Step 4

Obtain an order to show cause or a publication order from the court that should set a hearing date and require that any parties objecting to the change appear at the hearing. This may either be mailed to you or be available while you wait after filing your petition. The time period required between the publication notice and the date of hearing may be different from state to state. Not all states require publication, and some may exempt certain people from publication, depending on the circumstances. Read online instructions or inquire of the court clerk to see if publication is necessary.

Step 5

Attend any required hearing. Often hearings are merely a formality or may even be waived in some jurisdictions if, upon a review of the petition and accompanying paperwork, the judge determines it unnecessary.

Step 6

Obtain certified copies of your signed decree to present to the Social Security Administration, financial institutions, department of motor vehicles drivers license division and other entities with which you are in contact or transact business. Courts may also require that a certified copy be sent to the department of vital statistics.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Change Your Name Back to Your Maiden Name



Related articles

How to Legally Change Your Middle Name

Most states recognize an inherent right to change your name for non-fraudulent purposes. If you want to change your last name due to marriage, divorce, or adoption, most states do not require a court. Most states do, however, require a court order to change your middle name. Although the laws of the various states differ on the procedure, certain principles are common to every state. Consult the law of your state for the exact procedure.

How to File for Divorce If You Got Married Overseas

A divorce proceeding is a civil action, similar to a lawsuit, in which you ask a court to grant you a divorce decree. You may obtain a divorce in the United States even if you married overseas. Your marriage must have been valid under the laws of the jurisdiction where you married, and you must serve legal notice of the divorce proceedings to your spouse's current address, even if it is overseas. The proceedings will be governed by the laws of the state where you file the action.

How to Change Your Last Name Back to Your Maiden Name After a Divorce

Divorce is stressful enough without having to make all the tough decisions involved at the time. If the divorce involves numerous legal issues, your attorney may neglect to mention that you have the option to revert to the use of your previous name via the divorce decree. On the other hand, you may want more time to make the decision to drop a name you've used for many years. While it may be simpler to make the change at the time, you can still change your name even years after the divorce if you decide to.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Resuming Use of Maiden Name Without Divorce

A woman often resumes the use of her maiden name after a divorce. However, you may choose to reacquire your maiden name ...

Oregon State Pregnancy & Divorce Laws

Deciding to divorce is never an easy decision, especially if you're pregnant. Although being pregnant during your ...

Can a Divorced Woman Keep Her Husband's Last Name?

After a divorce, a woman is free to keep her husband's last name, revert back to her maiden name or choose an entirely ...

How to Stop Divorce Proceedings Once They Have Been Started

Out of anger and frustration, a husband and wife may decide to file for divorce, yet days later change their minds. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED