Rights for a Deported Father

By Robin Elizabeth Margolis

An estimated 5.5 million children in the United States have an undocumented immigrant parent vulnerable to deportation. Approximately 4.5 million of these children are U.S. citizens. While deported fathers and mothers retain legal ties to their U.S. citizen children, it is very difficult to enforce these ties once they have been deported.


As an immigrant father who could be or already has been deported, you may be among the 11 million undocumented immigrants who either entered the United States by crossing U.S. borders without the proper documents or you stayed beyond the time allotted by the visa stamp on your passport.

Fathers' Rights

Your children born in other countries and brought to the U.S. illegally are usually considered undocumented immigrants and can be deported. Your children born in the United States are U.S. citizens and have the right to remain in the United States. Under the U.S. legal system, you have a constitutional right to joint or shared custody and other contact with your children, unless you have been found to be an unfit parent for such reasons as neglect, abuse or abandonment.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Illegal Immigrant Deportation

When U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrests an illegal immigrant, the immigrant is taken to an ICE detention center, has limited contact with the outside world and is then deported. U.S. citizen children of immigrants arrested by ICE may be left with their other parent, if she is a U.S. citizen. If your children's other parent and relatives are also undocumented immigrants, or if you were the sole caregiver, your U.S. citizen children may be put into foster care.

Foster Care

Once in foster care, your U.S. citizen children may be mistakenly classified as abandoned, neglected or abused by you or their other parent, because you are now living in another country and cannot respond in a timely manner to requests from state child welfare agencies for information. Child welfare agencies have no internal requirement to call your country's consulates to locate you after you are deported.

Parental Rights Lost

If you contact a child welfare agency, asking that your U.S. citizen children be sent to you in your native country, agency staff may demand that you prove you have a new job, allow a home study and take parenting classes before your U.S. citizen children will be returned to you. If you cannot meet these demands before a legal deadline, your children may be put up for adoption, permanently terminating your parental rights.

Protecting Fathers' Rights

If you have been deported, locate your children by contacting the children's primary caregiver or the child welfare agency that put your children into foster care. It is also wise to contact the American Immigration Lawyers Association to find an attorney who will help you claim your parental rights.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Happens if You Are Illegal & Getting a Divorce?



Related articles

Grandparents' Rights in Divorce

Divorce is an anguishing process when you have children. Although sometimes overlooked, divorce can also be an anguishing process for grandparents, especially if the divorce restricts access to your son or daughter's children. In 2000, the Supreme Court wrestled with this issue and ratified the basic right of parents to make decisions about the upbringing of their children -- including who can see or visit their children. However, there are exceptions to this rule, and state legislatures and courts have taken widely differing positions regarding the rights of grandparents to successfully sue for visitation rights. This is especially true when parents are divorced or separated.

How to Protect an Artwork Trademark

You worked tirelessly to create your original artwork, now you must consider the business side of your art -- creating a brand. Brand your art with a trademark, a unique identifier that separates you and your artwork from other artists and their work. In the U.S., you get trademark rights by use in commerce, not registration. However, trademark registration has several legal advantages, including exclusive rights of use and the right to sue.

Who Gets Custody if My Dad Is a Citizen and My Mom Is Illegal?

Custody decisions in divorces or break-ups where one spouse or partner is a U.S. citizen and the other spouse or partner is an illegal immigrant are made in the same way as those where both spouses or partners are U.S. citizens. Your mom's status as an illegal immigrant will not prevent her from receiving custody of you if a court decides that it is in your best interest.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How Does a Father Get Custody When the Mother Denies Paternity?

Disputes over custody can hit a snag when a child's mother denies that an estranged or ex-husband or lover is the ...

Child Support Help for Men

If you are presently not living with the mother of your children, you may be dealing with child support issues. If you ...

Does a Minor With Divorced Parents Need Permission From Both Parents to Exit the Country?

Whether you have family in another country, take a job outside the United States, or simply want to take your child on ...

Can Divorced Mothers Take Their Children Out of the Country?

If you have ties to another country, you may wish to take your child with you to visit. If you are divorced, the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED