How to Serve Military Personnel With Divorce Papers

By Heather Frances J.D.

Military courts cannot grant divorces, so military couples must get divorced in state courts following the same basic process that civilians follow. However, divorces involving service members can have additional obstacles because of the nature of military service. For example, it can be tricky to find a way to serve your military spouse if he is overseas or on a military base.

What to Serve

The first step to your divorce is filing paperwork with the divorce court as required by your state. Typically, this includes a complaint, or petition, describing the basis for your divorce and the relief you are seeking, including child support, child custody, property division and spousal support. Once you file this document and any other documents your state requires with the court, you must serve a copy of the complaint and a summons on your spouse. A summons is the document that tells your spouse the deadlines he must follow if he chooses to file an answer to the complaint.

Personal Service

Personal service is one of the most common ways to serve your spouse with a summons and complaint. The exact requirements for this type of service vary among states, but it generally involves a third party, such as a sheriff or process server, delivering the divorce papers directly to your spouse. You must then file a proof of service document with the court, in which the third party certifies the service met your state’s requirements. If your spouse lives in the local area and can be found by a process server or sheriff, this may be the easiest way to serve him. If your spouse lives in another area, you may be able to have a process server or sheriff where your spouse lives serve him with the papers.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Acceptance of Service

Your state may allow you to meet the service requirements by having your spouse accept service voluntarily. For example, you can personally hand the documents to your spouse or mail them to him. He must then sign an acknowledgment document stating he received the papers. This document does not mean he is consenting to the divorce or agreeing with the statements in your complaint; it simply means he got the papers. As long as your spouse is willing to cooperate, this method works well for military families since it allows couples to work through the divorce process while one of them is stationed elsewhere -- even overseas.

Overseas Service

If your spouse is stationed overseas, it may be particularly difficult to serve him if he will not voluntarily accept service. The court can appoint an active duty, reserve or civilian person as an officer of the court to serve him with the papers at his overseas location, but military regulations may not permit service on a ship or military base. Depending on his overseas location, service could violate the Hague Convention. Instead, you can mail the summons and complaint to the Hague Convention’s central authority who will then serve your spouse, and such service typically meets state court requirements.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Divorce a Person Out of the Country


Related articles

Do Divorce Papers Expire if Not Served?

Divorce involves an intricate series of rules -- and many of them come with deadlines. Service of process is one such rule. Your spouse has a right to defend himself in the divorce action, so you must serve your divorce papers on him according to the laws of your state. There's usually a deadline by which you must do so, but it can vary depending on where you live.

What Can You Do When Your Spouse Refuses a Divorce Summons in Washington?

No state allows a spouse to block the divorce process by refusing to accept service of the summons and petition. However, that doesn’t stop some spouses from trying. Like all other jurisdictions, Washington allows a petitioner to use alternate means of service when her spouse tries to dodge acceptance of her divorce papers. Service must be achieved so the court has legal jurisdiction over both spouses, but Washington offers several ways to accomplish this.

What Are the Rules for Serving Divorce Papers?

Simply filing a complaint or petition isn’t enough to begin the process of getting divorced. The court can’t make decisions or rulings unless it has jurisdiction over you and your spouse. It gains jurisdiction over you when you meet residency requirements and file. It achieves jurisdiction over your spouse when he receives official and verifiable notice of the divorce so he has an opportunity to object to what you’re asking for. Both the Fifth and the 14th Amendments protect this right, called “due process.”

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Divorce Someone Who Was Deported

Divorcing a spouse who has been deported involves more time and effort than divorcing a spouse who lives down the ...

What if Your Spouse Refuses to Be Served Divorce Papers in NY State?

If you are seeking a divorce in the state of New York and your spouse refuses to receive the papers, you may still ...

The Inability to Serve Divorce Papers in Texas

It's frustrating when the respondent in a lawsuit is dodging process, especially in a divorce case. Ordinarily, a ...

How to Divorce an Illegal That Was Deported From the U.S. to Mexico

The procedures for divorcing an illegal immigrant who has been deported to Mexico are not that different from divorcing ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED