How to Settle a Small Estate in California

By Joe Stone

California law does not require you to use the probate court when the decedent's estate is $150,000 or less in value and hence classified as a "small estate." You can use a simplified procedure to transfer the estate property to the beneficiaries without a court order. However, in order to use this procedure for real property, such as a home or vacant lot, the real property must be valued at $50,000 or less.

Small Estates with Personal Property Only

For estates with personal property only, you can use an affidavit or declaration that complies with California Probate Code Section 13100 to acquire the property. This procedure is used for such property as financial accounts, stocks and mutual funds. You give the custodian of the property, such as a bank, the affidavit or declaration along with a certified copy of the decedent's death certificate. Some financial institutions have their own form of affidavit or declaration for your use. At least 40 days must have passed since the decedent's death before this procedure can be used.

Small Estates with Real and Personal Property

If the decedent's estate includes both real and personal property, you use the same form of affidavit or declaration that complies with Probate Code Section 13100 with the additional requirement of attaching to the form an inventory and appraisal of the real property. The inventory and appraisal must be done by a probate referee appointed by the California State Controller's office. Once the inventory and appraisal is complete, you can submit your affidavit or declaration with the attachment to a custodian of the personal property and take possession of it.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Small Estates Transfer of Real Property

Real property valued at less than $50,000 can be transferred from the decedent’s name to the appropriate beneficiaries by using the simplified procedure set forth in Probate Code Section 13200. This code section requires the use of a form published by the California Judicial Council called "Affidavit Re Real Property of Small Value ($50,000 or less)." A copy of the inventory and appraisal and a certified copy of the decedent's death certificate must be attached to the completed form. The form is filed with the clerk of court in the county where the real property is located. The court clerk is required to determine that the form and attachment are complete. A properly completely form with the required attachments will be accepted for filing by the clerk, who will then issue a certified copy of the form without the attachments. You record the certified copy with the county recorder’s office where the real property is located.

Small Estate Procedures are Optional

The simplified procedures for small estates allowed by the California Probate code are optional. You are entitled to open formal probate proceedings to administer the decedent's estate regardless of the value of the estate property. In some circumstances, such as when you anticipate a dispute among the potential beneficiaries, it may be advisable to use formal probate proceeding so that the court can supervise the administration of the estate.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
How Small Estate Affidavit Works in California



Related articles

How to File for Executor of Estate in Minnesota

Minnesota probate law uses the term "personal representative" to describe the person appointed to administer the estate of a deceased person. This term includes an "executor," who is appointed in cases where the deceased left a will, as well as an "administrator," who is appointed when there is no will. To be appointed personal representative, you must file the appropriate forms and documents with either the probate court or the probate registrar located in the county where the deceased resided.

Illinois Small Estate Affidavit and the Law

When a person dies, his estate must go through the probate process. However, Illinois allows small estates, estates worth less than $100,000 and containing no real estate, to avoid the probate process if the executor files a small estate affidavit. The law governing small estates differs somewhat depending on whether the decedent left a will or died intestate, meaning without a will.

How Long Does One Have to Probate a Will?

Probating a will involves court procedures to supervise the distribution of estate assets to the beneficiaries as provided for in the will. These procedures are governed by state law and the length of time you have to start probate varies from state to state. Some states have no set deadline or statute of limitations to start probate. However, if state law makes probate mandatory for proper administration of the deceased's estate, any unreasonable delay in probate may have adverse consequences.

Related articles

Is Probate Necessary if a Will Exists in the State of Kansas?

If you die in Kansas, probate will likely be required for your estate, whether or not you have a will. If any of your ...

Must All Wills Be Probated?

Whether or not a will must be probated depends on the laws of the state where the deceased resided at death. Some ...

Does a Will in Arizona Have to Go Through Probate?

If you die with a valid will in Arizona, an Arizona probate court will typically oversee the administration of your ...

How to Fill Out a Small Estate Affidavit in Indiana

Probate is the court-supervised procedure through which the estate of a deceased person, known as the decedent, is ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED