Sole Custody Vs. Parental Rights in Michigan

By Elizabeth Rayne

A determination of the degree to which each parent should be involved in the raising of minor children is an important process, involving both fundamental rights as well as what is deemed best for the child. In Michigan, these issues can often be resolved by the parents in lieu of court intervention, or by order of a judge. Either instance can lead to joint physical or legal custody, but if one parent is awarded sole custody, the other parent may request parenting time. In addition, either parent may request a modification of custody if certain conditions have changed following the original order.

Parental Agreement

In Michigan, as in other states, parents are encouraged to reach their own agreement regarding custody arrangements before getting the court involved. When parents cannot agree, the judge will decide the custody arrangements by looking at a number of factors to determine what is in the best interest of the child. Factors include the capacity of each parent to provide for the child, child's school record, and in some cases, the child's preferences.

Sole Custody

In Michigan, the court may determine that parents cannot adequately work together to take care of their child and award sole custody to one parent, meaning that one parent has both physical and legal custody. Physical custody refers to providing day-to-day care for the child and where the child primarily lives. Conversely, legal custody refers to which parent makes major decisions for the child, including issues surrounding education and medical treatment.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Joint Custody

In Michigan, with or without the request of either parent, the court may consider ordering joint custody. Under this arrangement, both parents share physical and legal custody. Conversely, at the discretion of the judge, the court may simply order joint physical or joint legal custody instead of both. The court will state in the record the reasons for granting or denying any custody requests. As in other matters, the decision comes down to whether the parents can cooperate, agree on important decisions, and what is in the best interest of the child.

Parenting Time

When the court awards sole custody, the non-custodial parent is typically given parenting time, which is time set by the court for the non-custodial parent and child to spend time together. The few cases in which a parent will not be awarded parenting time is when imminent harm to the child is likely as a result of abuse, neglect or drug abuse. The court may award specific parenting time with set schedules or reasonable parenting time, which gives the parents flexibility in scheduling. If parents cannot agree on parenting time, the court will set the schedule. When the non-custodial parent has parenting time, that parent is responsible for making "routine and emergency decisions" for the child while the child is in his care. For example, if the child is injured while the non-custodial parent has parenting time, that parent may make the decision whether or not to bring the child to an emergency room.


When a parent wants a change in the custody order and the parents cannot come to an agreement on the change, either parent may motion the court to change the existing order. To request a custody modification from the court, you must file a motion with the circuit that issued the custody order, and serve the other parent with the motion. The court will then schedule a hearing, where you must present evidence to support your request. You must show that it is in the child's best interest to modify the order, and demonstrate a significant or substantial change in circumstances since the original order was made. Factors that may lead to a modification include neglect, abuse, or immoral activity in the home of the custodial parent.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Filing for Physical Custody in Virginia


Related articles

Nevada State Laws on Custody Prior to Divorce

Often, parents in Nevada will ask the court to make a temporary custody determination before the divorce is final. Without a custody order in place, the parents have joint custody, meaning either parent may make decisions for the child or provide a home for the child. In making both temporary and permanent custody determinations, Nevada courts are primarily concerned with what is in the best interest of the child.

Child Custody Options in Iowa

In Iowa, as in most states, child custody issues must be resolved before the court can issue a divorce decree. Depending on the circumstances of your case, the court may establish a sole or joint custody arrangement. For example, if you and your spouse get along and work well together, the court is likely to grant decision-making authority to both of you. This means you both have a say in your child's upbringing, such as where he goes to school and what extracurricular activities he participates in.

How to Get Sole Custody of a Child in Virginia

The best interests of the child is always the paramount factor used in determining custody issues; having both parents involved in a child's life is greatly encouraged by family courts in Virginia. There are two types of custody in the state: legal custody and physical custody. Obtaining sole custody of your child requires the court to give you both legal and physical custody. Even so, the child's other parent is often granted visitation rights.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Reverse a Sole Custody Order in Missouri

Provided the existence of certain conditions, a parent can be successful in reversing a sole custody order in the state ...

What Is a "Change in Circumstances" in a Custody Case?

Whether the case is concerning an original custody order or a custody modification, courts in every state are primarily ...

Child Custody Rights for 12 Years & Older

Establishing child custody can be a highly contentious aspect of divorce. Although each parent may feel entitled to a ...

Is Legal Guardianship the Same as a Custodial Parent in Ohio?

A grandparent or another caregiver who has taken responsibility for raising a child may seek a formal arrangement from ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED