Subpoena Procedure Rules in Family Law

By Beverly Bird

A contested divorce begins as a fact-finding mission, something like a scavenger hunt with a great deal at stake. You can't agree on how to divide investment and other financial accounts with your spouse – nor can the court do so at trial – if you don't know the value of these assets. In family law, subpoenas take two forms. A subpoena duces tecum requests documents from a third party. A subpoena ad testificandum requires a third party to appear, usually at trial or a deposition, to give testimony. Both can be useful in establishing the facts of your divorce case before you settle or go to trial.


The issuance of a subpoena depends somewhat on state law, so if you're acting as your own attorney, contact the court to find out the rules in your jurisdiction. Lawyers can typically issue subpoenas without court oversight, but if you’re handling your divorce pro se, without representation, you may have to arrange to have the clerk of the court send yours out. Some states require that even if you can issue subpoenas yourself, you must file copies of them with the court.

Service of Process

Even if your state allows you to issue subpoenas yourself, it's generally not enough to drop a copy of your completed form in the mail. You must usually arrange to have a private process server or sheriff hand deliver a copy to the person or entity you're subpoenaing, asking for documentation in their possession or to testify at a later date. Some states, such as Rhode Island, allow you to deliver your subpoenas personally. The rules of court usually require that you also serve a copy on everyone involved in your lawsuit. In a divorce, this means your spouse or his attorney. As a practical matter, if you seek bank records – to ascertain if your spouse has an account with that institution, for example – the bank will typically notify him of your request before complying. However, by law, you can't rely on this. You must make sure that he receives a copy of the subpoena from you as well.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Motions to Quash

Any entity or person upon whom you serve a subpoena is obligated by law to respond, so when you create your subpoena and have it served, you must allow sufficient time for them to do so. You must also allow time for objections. Anyone you subpoena must do one or the other -- they must deliver the documentation you requested, appear to testify or file a motion with the court to quash your subpoena and invalidate it. The individual or entity you've subpoenaed needs legal grounds to ask the court to quash your request. This might be the case if what you're asking for has no legal bearing on your divorce, or if you're asking someone to testify purely in an effort to harass them or to put pressure on your spouse. However, subpoenas are generally issued in an effort to gather financial documentation, and if the documents have any relation to your case, the court will allow your subpoena because you have a right to this information.


Discovery is an important part of any contested divorce process, but you're not limited to issuing subpoenas. Releases serve the same purpose; you can deliver one to the entity you're requesting documentation from and that party is obligated by law to supply you with copies of the information you've requested. Releases do require your spouse's signature, however, since it represents his official OK that the institution or entity can release what you're asking for. You can also serve your spouse with a notice to produce documents if you think he has the information you need in his possession. For example, if you're trying to establish the balance of an investment account your spouse started during your marriage, you can issue him a notice to produce and require him to give you a copy of the last statement he received. If he doesn't have it, he can sign a release so you can ask the institution directly, but he has to provide some response by law. If he ignores your request, you can file a motion with the court to compel him to comply, but this might be more costly and time-consuming than just issuing a subpoena instead.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Income Discovery in Family Law Cases


Related articles

How to Place a Divorce Notice in a Newspaper

Although no law can force you to stay married to your spouse, he can make it difficult to divorce him if you can’t find him. The court can’t claim jurisdiction over your spouse and grant you a divorce unless and until he knows you’ve filed. All states allow you to use use “alternate service” to notify him when this happens. One method is to post notice of your divorce in the newspaper.

How to Subpoena Records in Virginia for a Divorce Case

In Virginia, a subpoena duces tecum is a subpoena that requires documents, and possibly the appearance at a hearing, of the person who has them. A subpoena duces tecum may be legally issued only by a Virginia court or an attorney who is an active member of the Virginia State Bar. In civil cases, such as a divorce case, it may be issued to anyone, whether or not they are a party in the divorce case, who has in their possession documents relevant to the case.

How to Release the Power of Attorney

Many estate planning professionals recommend powers of attorney as worthwhile tools to keep the details of your life running smoothly in the event of an emergency. You can use a power of attorney to authorize an agent -- often a loved one or another trusted individual -- to make decisions regarding your medical care or to deal with the financial details of your life should you become incapacitated. A durable power of attorney grants your agent immediate authority to handle your personal affairs, such as contracting for debt in your name, as well as authority after your incapacitation. If you decide that you’ve entrusted the wrong individual with these important powers, releasing your power of attorney is a simple matter of revoking it.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Draft a Child Custody Affidavit

If custody is a litigated aspect of your divorce, you won't need an affidavit for the trial, but you may need one at ...

How to Change My Child's Last Name If I Have Sole Custody

Your legal right to change your child’s last name does not depend on your custody arrangement. Even if you have sole ...

Request for Production of Documents in Divorce

Legal professionals rarely take anyone’s word for something. The nature of law is providing conclusive proof that what ...

How to: Divorce Notice for an Absent Spouse

If you’ve lost track of your spouse and no longer know where he’s living, you can still get a divorce. The law requires ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED