Temporary Visitation Rights

By Mary Jane Freeman

If you are a parent and filing for divorce, you can ask the court for custody and visitation orders in addition to other relief you may be seeking, such as property, alimony and child support. If your spouse currently has the kids and you want to see them while the divorce is pending, you can petition the court for a temporary visitation order. This order establishes your visitation rights and remains in effect until the court finalizes the divorce and a permanent order takes its place.


Although the process for requesting a temporary order of visitation varies among states, you can make the request on the divorce petition, or on the answer, if your spouse filed. You can also make the request by submitting a motion shortly after filing for divorce. Typically, the court holds a hearing on the matter within a few days or weeks of the court receiving the request. Usually, the judge in your divorce case presides over the hearing and decides the issue, along with any other temporary order requests. If you don't want to leave this decision up to the court, you and your spouse can draft your own agreement and submit it to the court for review. If the terms are satisfactory and the court approves the agreement, it will become your temporary visitation order and will remain in effect for the duration of the divorce proceedings.

Custody Types

The first step in determining custody and visitation -- whether it is temporary or permanent -- begins with the court establishing legal and physical custody. Legal custody is a parent's right to make important decisions about a child's upbringing, such as schooling, religious ideology and medical treatment. Often, courts will award legal custody to both parents. However, if parents do not have an amicable relationship, the court may award this responsibility to one parent. Physical custody represents the parental home where a child lives. Typically, courts award physical custody to one parent and visitation rights to the other parent, who usually pays child support. Although you may only be interested in visitation during the divorce, it is important to keep in mind that courts often maintain the pre-existing custody and visitation arrangement when the court issues the permanent order. Therefore, if you want sole or shared physical custody of your child after the divorce, you may wish to ask for this -- rather than visitation -- in your temporary order.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Best Interests

Courts do not automatically grant custody or visitation simply because a parent asks for it. When evaluating your request for temporary visitation, the court will decide whether visitation is in your child's best interests and it will determine whether your spouse is the best parent to have physical custody of your child. To make this decision, the court will evaluate a variety of factors. Although laws vary among states, courts tend to look at the same things when awarding custody and visitation such as the following: The wishes of the child and parents; the relationship between the child and each parent; the child's adjustment to home, school and community; the physical and mental health of all parties; and whether there is a history of domestic violence or substance abuse. For example, if the court determines you are an unfit parent because of a history of domestic violence, the court may deny your request for visitation or it may limit you to supervised visits only.


Once the court approves your temporary visitation order, it becomes a legally enforceable court order. This means you can return to court and have the order enforced if your spouse refuses to comply with its terms. The court may hold your spouse in contempt of court, which may result in fines, or the court may change the custody and visitation arrangement. For example, if your spouse prevents you from visiting your child, the court may turn over temporary physical custody to you and possibly award you permanent physical custody in the divorce decree.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to File a Petition for Visitation in Virginia


Related articles

Filing for Physical Custody in Virginia

Both parents and Virginia courts are primarily concerned with what is in the best interests of the child in a divorce case. Therefore, a parent may be awarded joint or sole physical custody based on this standard. Custody orders, however, may not always be permanent. Should circumstances change, either parent may ask the court to modify the custody order.

How to Get an Emergency Court Order for Visitation Rights for a Father

In most cases, family court judges want you to have time with your children just as much as you do. Even if the court finds that for some reason you’re unfit for full custody, the judge will typically grant supervised visitation, allowing you to see your kids with a responsible, third party adult present. State courts are vested in maintaining the parent-child relationship, so if your soon-to-be ex is depriving you of visitation, all you really have to do is get into court to ask for an order.

How to File an Answer to a Summons for Visitation

Although a summons can be a general notice to appear in court, within the context of a visitation proceeding, a summons often acts as a formal notice of proceedings that a party to a case will receive when he or she is served a visitation complaint or petition. The type of document the party receives will depend on whether the court has already established visitation, and visitation is being denied, or the other party wants to establish visitation. When you receive a summons for your visitation case, it will specify exactly how long you have to file a response. In many jurisdictions, it will be 20 days.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File for Visitation Rights in Nevada

Nevada, like all other states, uses the "best interests of the child" standard in determining child custody and ...

How to Apply for Visitation Rights

Visitation refers to the right of a noncustodial parent to spend time with her child. The exact procedures for applying ...

How to Petition for Sole Custody in New York

Sole custody is a custody arrangement in which one parent has sole decision-making authority over the child in addition ...

Can a Noncustodial Parent Lose Visitation for Nonpayment of Child Support?

Courts encourage relationships between parents and children, so an ex-spouse who does not pay child support as ordered ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED