Terminating Father's Rights in Michigan

By Brenna Davis

The termination of a father's rights is a legal process that severs all ties the father has to the child. The father will no longer have a right to make decisions regarding the child, to receive visitation or to learn of legal proceedings involving the child. In Michigan, termination of rights can be voluntary or involuntary. Voluntary termination occurs when a father willingly relinquishes his rights, whereas involuntary termination occurs when a father's rights are terminated for a reason. Involuntary termination may be initiated by a parent, guardian or state agency.

Voluntary Termination

Step 1

Determine the proper jurisdiction. Juvenile courts have jurisdiction over termination proceedings, and parents must file their petition in the juvenile court in the county in which the child resides.

Step 2

Draft a document requesting termination of parental rights. When termination of rights is voluntary, the petition does not necessarily need to be drafted in legalese. Instead, it must be signed and indicate you wish to terminate rights. Provide information about the child's current residence, the age and name of the child, and the reason you wish to terminate rights. An online document provider can help you draft an appropriate petition.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

Step 3

Return this petition to the clerk of court and pay the filing fee.

Step 4

Serve the child's other parent as well as any guardians appointed for the child with the appropriate paperwork. The clerk will then schedule a hearing on the matter. If the child is currently in the custody of a state agency, you may submit the petition to the state agency instead.

Step 5

Attend the hearing. The judge may ask you questions about the reason for termination, and will determine whether or not termination is in the child's best interests. If the judge agrees to termination, she will issue an order severing parental rights. Your child will then be eligible for adoption by another party.

Involuntary Termination

Step 1

Gather evidence that the father's parental rights should be terminated. Michigan law allows several grounds for involuntary termination, including prolonged abuse or neglect, an extended period of no contact with the child or the parent has not financially supported the child for more than two years. Evidence might include written statements, photographic evidence, medical records or eyewitness testimony.

Step 2

Draft a petition seeking termination of parental rights. This is a legal pleading and can be difficult for a layperson to draft. You may wish to use an online document provider. Some counties also provide blank petitions you can fill out. Ask the clerk in the county in which you are filing if such a form is available.

Step 3

Itemize the reasons for the termination in the petition and, if there is a prospective adoptive parent, list the adoptive parent. You should also include the child's name, current place of residence and the last known location of the father.

Step 4

Give the petition to the clerk of court in the juvenile court in the county in which the child resides.

Step 5

Serve the child's father with a copy of the petition for termination. This ensures that he can object to termination if he does not want his rights terminated.

Step 6

Wait for a hearing to be scheduled.

Step 7

Attend the hearing and present your evidence in favor of termination. You may call witnesses to testify to deficits in the father's parenting, submit written documentation indicating the father has not had contact with the child or that he is abusive or neglectful. If there is a prospective adoptive parent, he should attend the hearing and testify as a witness that he is planning to adopt the child. The judge will weigh the evidence and determine whether rights should be severed and, if she agrees to sever rights, issue an order doing so.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
How to Absolve Parental Rights in Ohio When Parents Are Divorced


Related articles

How to Change a Child's Name in Texas

Texas laws allow you to legally change a child's name by filing a petition in court. Both parents and any other person who has a court-ordered right and interest in the child must grant consent. Children ten years of age or older must also grant written consent to the name change. The petition and all other necessary forms are filed in the Texas District Court of the county in which the child resides.

Legal Guardianship for an Incompetent Parent

A guardian is a party who undertakes legal responsibility and authority for the care of someone else, known as a ward. An adult can become a ward only if he is declared legally incompetent. If your parent is a victim of a disability that prevents him from meeting his basic needs, you may petition a court to appoint a guardian.

California Family Laws on Terminating Child Support

Both parents have a responsibility to provide for the financial needs of their minor children in California. When one parent asks for a child support order, the judge reviews the family's financial information and determines the amount the other parent must pay. The presumed father can terminate his obligation to pay child support by disproving paternity, and either parent can seek a modification based on changed circumstances. If not otherwise terminated, the child support obligation lasts until the child is emancipated.


Related articles

Oregon Law: Can a Father Lose Rights for Abandonment?

Generally, proceedings to terminate a father’s parental rights are brought by the state of Oregon in juvenile court. ...

What Constitutes Legal Child Abandonment for Custody in North Carolina?

It may be hard to imagine a parent voluntarily walking away from his child, but it sometimes happens. North Carolina’s ...

How to Voluntarily Relinquish Parental Rights in Maryland

The relinquishment of parental rights is the giving up of parental rights to one's child or children. Relinquishing ...

Parental Rights Terminated for Abandonment in West Virginia

Parental rights in West Virginia may be terminated after the filing of an Abuse or Neglect Petition. State law governs ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED