Terminating Visitation Due to Incarceration

By Heather Frances J.D.

If your ex-spouse ends up in jail, he can’t have normal visitation with your children, but he doesn’t necessarily lose visitation rights. Whether an incarcerated parent retains visitation rights with his children depends on state laws and the crime he committed. Also, his visitation rights probably won’t change at all unless you or another guardian of the child contests his visitation rights.


A parent or legal guardian who is not incarcerated can ask the court to modify the existing child custody and visitation order since state laws often allow modifications when the family’s circumstances change significantly. Typically, this begins when the non-incarcerated parent files a motion with the court that issued the most recent visitation order. The motion would request for the court to terminate or suspend visitation on the grounds that visitation with the incarcerated parent is not in the child's best interests.


Since the parent-child relationship is constitutionally protected, incarcerated parents generally have the right to respond to the non-incarcerated parent’s motion, and an incarcerated parent may have the right to a hearing before being denied visitation rights with his children. However, the prisoner may have to represent himself or hire an attorney. Most court systems provide limited access to low-cost legal services to address domestic issues. Additionally, many states only give a prisoner the right to court-appointed legal counsel if his parental rights are being terminated, but counsel is usually not provided if the prisoner may only lose visitation.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Best Interests Standard

When presented with a motion to modify visitation, the court must consider what visitation arrangement is in the best interests of the child. Typically, the court makes its decision on a case-by-case basis using factors contained in state laws. These factors may include the child's age, distance between child and incarcerated parent and any resulting hardship, child’s physical, intellectual, moral and spiritual well-being, and the incarcerated parent’s relationship with the child. Each individual jurisdiction may establish rules that suspend visitation during periods of incarceration and in some states, like Florida, parental rights may be terminated in certain cases of long-term incarceration.

Domestic Violence

In cases where incarceration was the result of domestic violence, including violence against the child or the child’s parent, the court might terminate visitation rights -- or even terminate all of the perpetrator's parental rights. In fact, depending on state law, a parent may get his rights terminated for domestic violence even if he is not incarcerated. Even if your state’s laws do not directly address this issue, courts might not consider it in the child’s best interests to maintain significant periods of visitation with a violent parent.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
My Rights as an Unwed Mother When the Noncustodial Father Abandons the Child


Related articles

Terminating Father's Rights in Michigan

The termination of a father's rights is a legal process that severs all ties the father has to the child. The father will no longer have a right to make decisions regarding the child, to receive visitation or to learn of legal proceedings involving the child. In Michigan, termination of rights can be voluntary or involuntary. Voluntary termination occurs when a father willingly relinquishes his rights, whereas involuntary termination occurs when a father's rights are terminated for a reason. Involuntary termination may be initiated by a parent, guardian or state agency.

Divorce Laws on Blocking Contact With a Minor Child in Colorado

Divorce law in Colorado doesn't take kindly to a parent who interferes with another parent's court-ordered visitation rights. Such interference may bring contempt charges and other severe penalties. If a parent wants to reduce the other parent's contact with her minor child, she must do so by petitioning the court. In Colorado, courts make all visitation decisions by looking at what is in the child's best interests.

Emergency Visitation Rights

In extreme situations, a judge may be able to issue an emergency visitation order on an ex parte basis. This means that the judge will issue the order without the requirement of notifying the other party or a full hearing. An ex parte order is temporary in nature, usually lasting no longer than 30 days, and provides the parent seeking protection the opportunity to obtain judicial assistance without the lengthy waiting period usually associated with domestic cases. As always, any proceeding involving children will be decided based on the best interests of each child.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Is the Difference Between Filing for Full Custody and Abandonment?

Full custody and child abandonment are legal terms with many differences. A mother or father might file for full ...

How to Get Child Custody Rights Revoked in Arkansas

Revoking custody rights -- often a part of terminating parental rights altogether -- is a serious legal move that ...

Parental Rights Terminated Due to Child Abandonment

Child abandonment can result in serious legal consequences. For some parents, child abandonment may lead to the ...

Can a Noncustodial Parent Lose Visitation for Nonpayment of Child Support?

Courts encourage relationships between parents and children, so an ex-spouse who does not pay child support as ordered ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED