Texas Custody Laws on Moms Taking the Children Out of State Before the Divorce

By Beverly Bird

If your marriage is in trouble but you haven’t filed for divorce yet, you may be in a vulnerable position if your wife wants to take your kids and cross the Texas state line. You can remedy that by conferring with an attorney and acting immediately. Both Texas and the federal government have laws in place that allow you to prevent this sort of thing, at least temporarily.

Uniform Child-Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act

Even before the Texas government becomes aware that your marriage is ending, the Uniform Child-Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act gives you six months to make sure Texas has jurisdiction over your eventual custody dispute to keep your children in the state. Under the terms of the UCCJEA, your children’s home state is where they have resided for the past six months. If your wife relocates to Kansas with your children, and if you do nothing about it during that time, it’s conceivable that she could file for full custody there after six months' time, because that state could now claim jurisdiction.

Involving the Court

Texas gives you two options during this six-month period. You can file a SAPCR, Texas’s acronym for “Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship,” to prevent your wife from leaving with your children until a court can decide the issue, or to force her to bring them back until you can get a judge's ruling. You can also immediately file for divorce. A SAPCR is part of every divorce action in Texas when you have children. Either way, you’ve notified the court that there is a problem. You can now file a petition or motion to have the court address the situation, and the judicial system will ultimately decide whether to let your children leave or to rule that they must stay in the state.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Deciding Factors

Until 2002, Texas had a reputation for generally disallowing an out-of-state move by a parent with her children. Since then, however, the courts have become more lenient. Ultimately, when you get before a judge, he will base his decision on several factors. One such factor is your existing relationship with your children. If you’ve been very close with them, and especially if you and your wife haven’t separated yet, abruptly moving your children away from you might cause them considerable trauma. If you’ve been living separately and you haven’t seen your children much, this could work against you. The biggest factor a Texas court will usually consider is the reason your wife wants to move. If it’s to be closer to the support of her family after the two of you part ways and she's on her own, or so she can earn more money to better help support your children, a judge might be more inclined to rule in her favor.

Case Law

Texas’s rulings regarding relocation vary somewhat from county to county and with the opinions of individual judges. If you want to fight your wife’s move, speak with an attorney in your county as soon as possible. In Lenz v. Lenz, a Texas Supreme Court judge ruled that a mother’s happiness affects the well-being of her children, so he permitted her to move. In Echols v. Olivarez, a judge decided that forbidding a parent to move doesn’t accommodate the realities of post-divorce life. However, in Bates v. Tesar, the judge denied the mother the right to move because she didn’t have sufficient reason to relocate, and because the children had a very close relationship with their father.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Moving Out of State in the Middle of a Custody Battle in Texas


Related articles

Dad's Rights to Sole Custody

Fathers had few rights in custody battles in the 20th century. That changed somewhat in the millennium. However, the change takes the form of courts being willing to at least consider giving a father sole physical custody, with his children living with him and having minimal contact or visitation with their mother. Fathers still face an uphill battle in actually achieving sole custody of their children.

With Temporary Custody of a Minor in Georgia Can I Leave the State and Still Have Custody?

If you have a temporary child custody order, the court may or may not permit you to leave the state of Georgia with your child. However, if you can and do leave with your child, the terms of your custody order would most likely remain unchanged -- at least until such time as a permanent order supersedes it.

Out of State Visitation Statutes in Texas

The Texas statutes related to marriage, divorce, child-parent relationships and juvenile justice are contained within the Texas Family Code. Except in unusual circumstances such as domestic violence, the policy in Texas is to ensure both parents have access to and possession of the children while taking into consideration such factors as distance between the parents' homes, ages of the children and potential for disruption of their schedules.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Parental Custody Rights When Moving Out of the State of PA

The issue of parental relocation is one of the most emotionally charged in custody law. No matter which way a court ...

Pennsylvania Case Law on Custodial Parent Relocation

Ex-spouses often move after their custody order or divorce decree is final, but a Pennsylvania parent can object if the ...

Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act in Virginia

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act is recognized by 49 states, as of 2012, including Virginia. ...

Dating During the Temporary Custody Phase of a Divorce in Oklahoma

Oklahoma's divorce statutes don't include a specific prohibition about dating. They don't say that if you go out for ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED