Texas Probate Laws & Homestead Rights for an Unmarried Child

By Heather Frances J.D.

If your family depends on you for support, your death may be especially hard on them because they will lose your financial support in addition to losing someone they love. The home your family lives in, called a homestead, may be financially protected after your death. Texas provides special rules that may protect your home from being seized and sold to pay your debts after your death, saving your unmarried children from being forced from their home.

Qualifying as a Homestead

Your property will not qualify for homestead protections unless it meets Texas’s homestead definition. For urban locations, this means it must be a home or home and business and must not have more than 10 acres of land. For rural locations, a family homestead is 200 acres or less and a single adult homestead is 100 acres or less. Homesteads include improvements, such as buildings, located on the land. Property may be classified as a family homestead even if the family is atypical, such as a grandmother caring for her grandson, as long as you support that family and they depend on you.

Creditor Protection

If your land qualifies as homestead property, Texas provides two different types of protections: protection from creditors’ claims and protection of the right of occupancy. Protection from creditor claims is automatic if you were using and occupying the property at the time of your death. Except for seven specific exceptions, such as a purchase-money mortgage on the property itself, your homestead is not liable for payments of any debts of the estate. This means your homestead cannot be sold to pay your credit card debt, for example, even if that means your estate does not have enough money to pay that creditor.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Right of Occupancy

Homestead property also carries the right of occupancy, meaning your spouse and your minor children have the right to live on that property regardless of what your will says. This right is separate from creditor protection and terminates when your spouse dies, sells her interest in the homestead or abandons the homestead. Your minor children have this occupancy right, too, but their rights terminate when they are no longer minors.

Unmarried Adult Children

Your surviving spouse and minor children are entitled to protection from creditors’ claims against your homestead property as well as the right of occupancy. However, adult unmarried children living on your homestead property are only protected from creditors’ claims. Thus, if you do not have a surviving spouse or minor children and leave your homestead property to your unmarried adult child living with you, he will inherit it free and clear of creditors’ claims. If you leave it to someone else, he does not have the right to continue to live there since he has no right of occupancy.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
My Rights as an Unwed Mother When the Noncustodial Father Abandons the Child


Related articles

Do Children of Divorced Parents Have Rights to Inherit Real Estate?

Divorced parents can stay close to their kids, even if the other spouse has custody, but it doesn't always happen. A divorced parent who moves away or starts a new family may lose contact with the children from his prior marriage, and may even cut them out of his will. Only a few states give minor children the right to inherit a parent's real estate.

Can a Girlfriend Take Over an Estate if No Will Was Left?

A girlfriend cannot take over an estate if her male companion dies without leaving a will. State laws determine who inherits an estate if a man dies without making a will and those laws generally exclude his girlfriend. Nevertheless, she may still receive some of his property after he dies, even if he left no will.

Can You Claim Taxes on a Home in Puerto Rico That You Inherited?

If you inherit a home in Puerto Rico and plan on using it as a personal residence or rental property, you’ll inherit an annual property tax bill as well. But if you file a U.S. tax return, you may be able to claim those taxes as an itemized deduction. However, the more difficult task is determining whether you need to file a U.S. tax return in the first place.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Death Benefits During a Bankruptcy

Death benefits, also known as survivor benefits, are typically money from a life insurance, health or accident policy, ...

When a Spouse Dies in Kentucky Who Gets the Estate?

Kentucky is somewhat unique in that it maintains a version of dower in its legislation; most states have abolished such ...

Can a Wife Be Left Out of a Will in Texas Probate?

Texas law allows you to completely cut your spouse out of your will, but only with regard to those assets you control, ...

Wills & Estates in Florida

Leaving a will ensures that your estate -- the assets you have accumulated during your lifetime -- will pass to the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED