How to Transfer a Deed Left From a Will

By Marie Murdock

When probate of the estate is almost complete and real estate remains in the estate, as personal representative, or executor, of the will, you may want to remove the remove property out of the estate and either convey it to the intended devisees under the will or to a third-party purchaser. Although title to the property actually passed to the devisees or heirs upon death, you may choose to convey the property by deed to clarify the county real property records.

Step 1

Convey the property in your capacity as personal representative of the estate to the intended devisees under the will before closing the estate. The estate attorney should be able to prepare the necessary deed for the conveyance. Sign the deed in the presence of a notary public who will properly acknowledge your signature according to state law. Once the deed has been properly executed, either give it to the grantees, or devisees, for filing in the county probate records or file the deed yourself. The county will charge a filing fee at the time of filing.

Step 2

Have your attorney prepare a deed in which all devisees under the will as well as yourself as personal representative are conveying the property to you in the event you are acquiring the property from the estate. A title company will be less likely to question a deed in a future transaction when the property is being conveyed by all of the devisees to you instead of from yourself in your capacity as personal representative to yourself individually.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Convey the property from yourself as personal representative of the estate to a third-party purchaser in the event an unrelated person is purchasing the property from the estate and the proceeds are being divided. In order to convey as personal representative, however, you must have been given power to sell by the terms of the will or have been granted this power by court order. In the event the will doesn’t grant you power to sell and there is no order, all devisees under the will must also sign the deed to the purchaser. In some states, there is a statutory claims period during which creditors against the estate may file claims against the assets. Any title company or attorney insuring the sale to the third party and handling the closing may hold the money from the sale in escrow until such time as they are satisfied that there are no claims against the estate and all creditors have been paid.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Write a Deed With Power of Attorney


Related articles

How to Transfer a Deed to a House if the Owner Dies Without a Will

When someone who owns the entire interest in a parcel of land or real property dies without a will, the state’s laws of intestate succession generally determine ownership. When several heirs become joint owners in a piece of property under these laws, some may desire to sell their interest to others or all of the heirs may choose to convey the property to an unrelated purchaser.

How do I Change a Quit Claim Deed in New Hampshire After a Divorce is Final?

A quitclaim deed conveys title to New Hampshire real estate without the guarantees typically included in a warranty deed. Quitclaim deeds are often used to convey real estate between family members or in a New Hampshire divorce when one spouse relinquishes title to the other as part of a marital property settlement. Quitclaim deeds are fairly simple, but mistakes happen. A quitclaim deed may be changed or corrected in New Hampshire by executing a new, corrected deed.

Can You Sell a House Before You Finalize a Divorce?

The marital home is often one of the most valuable assets to divide in divorce. When a couple no longer lives under the same roof, selling the house may appear to be a practical next step. However, once a divorce petition is filed, state laws place certain restrictions on your ability to legally transfer the title of real estate without the consent of your spouse or the court.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Quit-Claim Deed Before a Divorce

Divorces frequently include property division. Before a divorce and maybe even before contacting a divorce attorney, ...

Can You Change a Deed Anytime You Want to if You Have Power of Attorney?

When you sell real property, the sale is recorded by changing the deed to the property. For various reasons, a person ...

How to Remove a Trustee From a Deed

When property is held in a trust estate, the appointed trustee generally holds title as representative of the trust for ...

The Transfer of Property Deed Upon a Spouse's Death

One spouse may handle all business and financial transactions during a marriage, including the acquisition of property. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED