How to Transfer a Mortgage to a Living Trust

By Marie Murdock

You and your spouse may have decided to form a living trust, via a trust agreement, to hold your real property or other assets. If you are the mortgagee, or holder of an existing mortgage made by someone else to you, you may desire to transfer that mortgage into your trust as an asset. It may be much more difficult, however, to obtain consent from a lender to transfer a liability, such as a mortgage from a bank or other lending institution, into the trust because it ceases to be an individual liability and becomes a liability of the trust.

Mortgage as an Asset

Step 1

Locate the original recorded mortgage, either from your records or by obtaining a copy from the county courthouse or online property records. Note the legal name of the mortgagor, or person or entity making the mortgage, date of the mortgage and recording information, such as the book and page number or instrument number used to index it in the real property records. The recording information will be stamped on the recorded document.

Step 2

Obtain a blank assignment of mortgage form from an online legal document site. Complete the form using your name as the assignor, or holder of the mortgage. Also list the assignee, who is the trustee or trustees of the trust, and full legal name of the trust. Make sure the assignment states the mortgage is being transferred to the trustees solely in their capacity as trustees for the benefit of the trust to avoid any confusion that they might be acquiring the mortgage individually. Fully describe the mortgage being transferred using the names of the mortgagors, dates and identifying recording information. Be sure the assignment conveys all rights, title and interest in the described mortgage.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Sign the assignment on the line provided for your signature in the presence of a notary public who must notarize your signature. Deliver the original completed assignment to the trustee of the trust to complete the transfer and for recording in the real property records for the county where the property is located. Notify the mortgagee of the transfer so that he or she will begin making future payments payable to the trustees of the trust as required by its banking institution.

Mortgage as a Liability

Step 1

Contact the lender who holds your mortgage to determine if it will allow the transfer of title by deed of assumption to the trust. The mortgaged property will have to be deeded; otherwise, the mortgage cannot be assumed by the trust. An individual or local lender may be more willing to accommodate your request for the assumption than a large national lender.

Step 2

Prepare a deed of assumption from yourself, as grantor, to the trustees of the trust, making sure the legal names of the current title holders as well as the legal names of the trustees and the trust are correctly recited in the document. Search an online legal document site for the deed form. The deed should contain proper assumption language so that it is clear the mortgage, identified by names, date and recording information, is being assumed by the trustees of the trust. Add a signature line below the grantor and grantee signatures for the lender to sign with language above the signature stating the lender consents to the assumption of the mortgage.

Step 3

Sign the deed of assumption and have the grantee and lender also sign. All signatures should be notarized with a proper acknowledgment according to the laws of your state. Record the properly executed assumption deed in the real property records for the county where the land is located, typically the county where the mortgage is also recorded.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Transfer Property to an Irrevocable Trust in Pennsylvania



Related articles

How to Void or Cancel a Living Trust

A living trust can be revocable or irrevocable. A revocable trust can be canceled during the lifetime of the person who created the trust, while an irrevocable trust usually cannot be canceled. There is more than one way to eliminate a revocable trust. One way, and perhaps the most straightforward, is to revoke it by way of a signed document. Another way is to remove all the property held by the trust because a trust that does not hold property is not a trust.

Changing a Family Trust Deed

A family member may have placed his property into a family trust as part of his estate planning process. Under the advice of his accountant, attorney or other professional or for a myriad of other reasons, he may have decided to remove the property from the trust or place the property, or a portion thereof, into a different trust.

How to Remove a Trustee From a Deed

When property is held in a trust estate, the appointed trustee generally holds title as representative of the trust for the benefit of the beneficiaries, not individually. If an acting trustee dies, resigns, is removed or becomes incapacitated, the trust agreement should have named an alternate or successor trustee to step into his shoes. A deeded conveyance is generally not necessary to remove a resigning trustee and replace her with a successor. If the property is being removed from the trust estate completely, however, a trustee’s deed may be needed.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Can a Property Owned by an Irrevocable Trust Be Foreclosed?

A living trust is an estate planning tool used to transfer property at death, allowing probate to be avoided. When you ...

How do I Change a Quit Claim Deed in New Hampshire After a Divorce is Final?

A quitclaim deed conveys title to New Hampshire real estate without the guarantees typically included in a warranty ...

How to Write a Deed With Power of Attorney

A real estate deed is a document representing legal ownership of a parcel of real estate. To transfer ownership of real ...

Release of Former Spouse From Liability on a Joint Vehicle After Divorce

If the court awards you the family car in the divorce settlement, it may give you the car loan, too. If you and your ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED