How to Transfer a Title From a Divorce in Ohio

By Jennifer Williams

As in any other state, divorcing Ohio spouses must arrive at a property settlement, either on their own or as imposed by the court. Sometimes it is necessary for one spouse to relinquish his or her interest in jointly owned marital property in order to facilitate the settlement. Transferring title to real property in Ohio during a divorce typically requires the relinquishing spouse to execute a quitclaim deed.

Step 1

Obtain a blank quitclaim deed form from the county recorder's office of the county where the property is located. Some recorder's offices have these forms available for download from their websites, or you may obtain one from an online legal document provider. If you cannot find a form, you may draft your own quitclaim deed using the format provided in Section 5302.11 of the Ohio Revised Code.

Step 2

Fill out the form by providing the information requested. Enter you name and marital status as grantor (the spouse transferring title); name, marital status and address of the spouse taking title; address of the property being transferred and its legal description; and the county recorder's book and page number where the original property deed is recorded. The legal description and book and page number are recited on the original deed. All you need to do is copy them.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Take the quitclaim deed to a notary public. Sign and date the form in front of the notary. Have the completed form notarized.

Step 4

Take the notarized deed to the county recorder's office in the county where the property is located. File the deed and pay any required filing fee. Ask the clerk for three file stamped copies. You may be required to pay a copy fee. Send one copy to your mortgage company, give one copy to your spouse for his records and keep one copy for your records.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How do I Change a Quit Claim Deed in New Hampshire After a Divorce is Final?



Related articles

How to Change a Legal Name in Kansas

You can get a new name in Kansas legally by petitioning the district court in your county. You must be a resident of Kansas for at least sixty days before you're allowed to file a name change petition in the state. Kansas state law allows each district court to decide what hearing notice method is used for name change cases, so depending on where you live, you may have to send notice of the name change hearing by mail or publish a legal notice in a Kansas newspaper.

How to Put My House in a Trust

You can put your home into your trust by preparing and filing a new deed from all current owners of the home to your trust, no matter what type of trust you have. A deed is a legal paper that is proof of property ownership. Although there is more than one type of deed, a warranty deed is commonly used for a transfer by an owner to a trust. A warranty deed allows you to transfer the home without creating problems later because you are guaranteeing the home's title, or history of ownership. A warranty deed acts as certification of your right to move the home to the trust.

How to Relinquish the Title & Financial Responsibility of Real Property During Divorce in California

Equal division of real property, such as the marital residence, in a California divorce often means the home is sold and proceeds divided according to the court's instructions. This is especially true if there is a mortgage on the property that both spouses are responsible for. However, it is possible to relinquish title and financial responsibility for the property, effectively allowing your spouse to buy you out of the jointly owned real property.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How do I Transfer a Title of Property From a Person to an LLC?

In most cases, forming your company as an LLC shields the personal assets of LLC members from company creditors. You ...

Quit Claim & Divorce Laws in Michigan

Michigan couples, like couples around the country, must split their marital property when they divorce, including the ...

Quitclaim Deed & Divorce in Washington State

In Washington, like all states, real property, like a house, can only be transferred in writing. The document that ...

Can a Divorce Decree Be Used in Lieu of a Quit Claim in Ohio?

When a judge issues a divorce decree, he usually specifies how personal property and real estate should be divided ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED