How to Turn a Car Title Over to a Spouse in Divorce

By Rob Jennings J.D.

When a couple separates, they must separate their personal lives, their finances and their property. During marriage, spouses often borrow money in both names to purchase automobiles that they title jointly. Unless you want your soon-to-be-ex-spouse driving around indefinitely in a car with your name on it, make sure to get the title changed over as part of the divorce process.

Division of Assets

Although property division law varies by state, certain assets that can't be divided -- such as a car -- can be kept by one spouse or the other. If your spouse keeps a car as part of a property division, she'll typically have to compensate you for your interest in the vehicle with cash or a similarly valuable asset. This will vary depending upon how your property is divided; not all states require an equal division of assets. In some cases, a vehicle can be more of a debt than an asset. Courts value assets like cars by subtracting any outstanding loan balance from the fair market value of the vehicle. If more is owed than the car is worth, the negative equity will be distributed like a debt.

Transferring Title

The nuts and bolts of actually signing over the car can be as simple as appearing in front of a notary public and transferring your interest by signing on the correct line on the vehicle's title. The title is then turned in, along with the license plates, at your local Division of Motor Vehicles office. A new registration in your spouse's name is generated and she either receives new plates or is allowed to transfer the existing plate into her name.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

The Loan

If money is still owed on the car, signing the title may require appearing at the local branch of your lender or completing other lender paperwork required to transfer title. As part of your divorce settlement, you should also insist that your spouse refinance any outstanding loan into her name solely. Even if she receives the car in the divorce and agrees to be responsible for the payments, the lender can still hold you responsible as long as your name remains on the loan.

Failure to Transfer Title

Failure to sign over title to the vehicle can result in contempt of court charges for court-ordered awards or a lawsuit for breach of contract if you have a settlement agreement. Getting your name off of somebody else's car title, though, should be one of your first priorities. As long as the vehicle remains in your name, whether in whole or in part, you could be held civilly liable if it's involved in an at-fault accident. If your spouse allowed the insurance to lapse, your assets might constitute the only source of compensation for the victim.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can I Still Be Held Responsible for a Vehicle My Wife Won in the Divorce?


Related articles

Quit Claim & Divorce Laws in Michigan

Michigan couples, like couples around the country, must split their marital property when they divorce, including the marital home. Since a house can't be divided down the middle, couples sometimes decide to split the value of the home; one spouse keeps the home and the mortgage, while the other gets her share of the equity in the form of a buyout. The spouse who gets the buyout signs a quit claim deed to give the other spouse full title to the home.

The Sale of a Residence to a Spouse in a Divorce

For many couples, one of the most heated aspects of divorce is asset division. Rather than fighting over who gets to keep the family home, some couples opt to sell the house and split the proceeds. If your spouse has a deep-seated emotional attachment to the property, but you want to sell the home, you may agree to let your spouse buy out your interest in the property. You benefit from the cash proceeds, while your former spouse benefits by being permitted to keep the property.

Is Husband Responsible for Wife's Car Payments After Saying She Is Divorcing?

Whether you must continue making payments on your wife's vehicle after she announces that she's leaving you depends on a variety of factors, namely whether the vehicle is your wife's separate property and when it was acquired. If the car is owned by both of you, you are both responsible for the car payments until the court awards the car and responsibility for payments to one of you during the divorce.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Divorce Laws and Automobiles

As you go through the divorce process, you and your spouse will work to divide all marital property, including debts, ...

Does a Divorce Decree Nullify a Car Title?

A divorce decree is a court order signed by a judge when she grants a divorce. Depending on the circumstances, the ...

How to Change a Vehicle Title Into Only One Person's Name After a Divorce

If a divorce awarded you the family wheels, then you'll be responsible for keeping that title document in good order. ...

Can You Get Half of the Value of a House in a Divorce if Your Name Is Not on the Title?

When you divorce, the court has authority to divide much of the property owned by you and your spouse. If you and your ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED