Types of Pleadings in a Divorce

By Beverly Bird

Like any legal matter, divorces can generate reams of paperwork. It can be a bit overwhelming, especially when terminology and requirements vary from state to state. The good news is that most states follow similar guidelines for pleadings. The bad news is that individual states sometimes call the same pleadings by different names.

Complaints or Petitions

A "complaint for divorce" or "petition for dissolution" is the pleading that begins your divorce. If you file, you're the plaintiff or petitioner. Your spouse is the defendant or respondent. Petition and complaints typically include a recital of facts: how long you've lived in the state; when you were married; the names and residences of you, your spouse and your children; and your grounds or reason for the divorce. There's also a section where you can request relief from the court by listing all the things you'd like a judge to order, such as custody, property or support. Some states, such as Massachusetts and Ohio, allow spouses to file joint petitions if they have an agreement regarding all issues of their marriage. Others allow you to note in your complaint or petition that you've reached an agreement.

Answering Pleadings

After you file for divorce, assuming you and your spouse haven't filed a joint petition, you must arrange for service of process on your spouse. This involves making sure he receives your pleadings in a legally acceptable way, such as by sheriff, private process server or certified mail. Your spouse then has a window of time in which to file answering pleadings with the court. He might file an answer, confirming or denying the facts contained in your complaint or petition, and disputing or agreeing with the relief you've sought. He can also file a counterclaim with his answer. A counterclaim acts as his own divorce complaint. He can list his own facts in this document and request his own relief. If he does this, and if you later decide to dismiss your complaint and not go through with the divorce, the court will proceed with the divorce based on your spouse's counterclaim.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Financial Affidavits

In most states, after you file a complaint or petition and your spouse responds, you must each complete and submit financial affidavits. Some states, such as New Jersey, call these forms case information statements, but they involve the same sort of information. They ask for details about your marital property and debts, as well as your personal income and expenses. You must typically sign this document under penalty of perjury.

Pendente Lite Motions

Early in your divorce proceedings, especially in a contested divorce, you may have to ask the court to issue pendente lite orders. Pendente lite orders govern certain issues until your divorce is final, such as temporary custody, spousal support, child support, possession of the marital home, or bill payment. This usually involves filing a motion request with the court, along with an affidavit explaining your position and why you think the court should order what you're asking for. If your motion requests economic relief, you must usually resubmit your financial affidavit.


When your divorce is final, the court will issue a decree or judgment of divorce. A decree or judgment normally takes one of two forms. It either details the judge's decision if you and your spouse went to trial, or it merges with your written agreement if you and your spouse resolved things on your own. Your decree might refer to your agreement and include an attached copy, or it might reiterate all the agreement's terms within the document. In either case, the decree is legally binding. If a spouse doesn't abide by its terms, the other can take him back to court to enforce it.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Documents Do I Notarize for Divorce?


Related articles

Do Divorce Papers Reflect Adultery as the Reason?

If a spouse has committed adultery, no state forces the wronged partner to include this information in his complaint or petition for divorce. As of 2010, all 50 states recognize no-fault grounds, so spouses don’t have to prove any marital misconduct to get a divorce. Some “pure” no-fault states don't recognize any fault grounds at all, so you don’t have the option of alleging that your spouse was unfaithful. However, in other jurisdictions, if you want to file on adultery grounds, the details will appear in at least some of your divorce papers.

Forms for No Fault Divorce Without Children in Texas

Regardless of where spouses marry, they can typically divorce in the state where they live, according to that state’s laws. If you live in Texas, you can file your own paperwork with the clerk of the district court in your county, or you can use an online legal documentation service to prepare and file all your divorce paperwork.

Motion to Reinstate a Divorce Complaint

Deadlines and mandatory court filings can complicate the divorce process, especially when you’re representing yourself and you're unsure of the rules. It’s surprisingly easy to take a misstep that might result in the court throwing out your case by dismissing your complaint. Fortunately, you can usually remedy the situation very easily by correcting your error and filing a motion with the court to reinstate it.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

New Jersey Petition For Divorce

Every divorce action begins with filing a document that lets the court know you want to end your marriage. In some ...

What Will Happen Once My Wife Has Filed for Divorce?

When your wife files for divorce, you'll probably hear from a lot of well-meaning friends who have been through it ...

Can You Just Not Do Anything in a Divorce if You Are the Respondent?

Your spouse is required to serve you with divorce papers after she files for divorce, including her divorce petition, ...

Information on How to Fill Out Divorce Papers in Kansas

A Kansas court can grant a divorce as soon as 60 days after you file your petition. The court’s divorce decree ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED