How to Withdraw a Divorce Complaint in New Jersey

By Beverly Bird

Not everyone is unequivocally sure they want to end their marriage. They may file a divorce complaint in the heat of anger, only to calm down a little later. They may have thought about divorce for some time, only to realize that it may be possible to reconcile. If this happens to you and you change your mind after filing for divorce, and if you happen to live in New Jersey, withdrawing your complaint is a relatively simple process.

If Your Spouse Has Not Been Served

Step 1

Call the county sheriff, if you’ve submitted your divorce complaint to the sheriff for service on your spouse. Sheriff's service is the usual method of service in New Jersey.

Step 2

Tell the Sheriff's Department that you’ve changed your mind and you don’t want your spouse served.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Pick up your paperwork so a deputy doesn’t deliver it by mistake should there be a breakdown of communication within the department.

Step 4

Wait approximately three months. If you don’t serve your spouse with your divorce complaint within this reasonable amount of time, New Jersey considers this a “failure to prosecute." Eventually, the court’s computer will trigger an alert that you filed a complaint, but then you did nothing further. In most counties, you’ll receive a letter from the court telling you a judge will dismiss your complaint as of a certain date if you don’t take action.

Step 5

Respond to the letter in writing, giving the court your consent to dismiss. Alternatively, you can do nothing. If the court doesn't hear from you, a judge will administratively dismiss your complaint as of the date of the letter.

If Your Spouse Has Been Served

Step 1

Prepare a stipulation of dismissal if you didn’t change your mind in time to prevent your spouse from being served with the divorce complaint. This document consists of one simple paragraph and is not state-specific.

Step 2

Copy the caption from your divorce complaint onto a separate sheet of paper. Where your complaint says “complaint for divorce,” write “stipulation of dismissal” instead. Below the caption, write a paragraph stating that you’re stipulating that your complaint is dismissed “without prejudice.” Without prejudice means that you’re free to file for divorce again, at a later date, if you change your mind again and want to move forward so it's important to include this language.

Step 3

Draw a signature line for yourself under the paragraph in which you stipulate your dismissal. If your spouse has filed answering pleadings to your complaint, he will have to sign the stipulation as well. This indicates that he’s in agreement with terminating your divorce litigation.

Step 4

File your stipulation in the same courthouse where you filed your complaint for divorce. The court will dismiss your complaint.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Divorce in PA After Two Years When a Spouse Does Not Agree on Settlement


Related articles

Laws on How to Prove I Am Legally Separated in North Carolina

North Carolina is one of the easiest states in which to end your marriage. It’s a no-fault state. Absent rare circumstances, such as a spouse's insanity, spouses must live separately, in two different residences, for a year before one can file for divorce. However, one year and one day after you separate, you can begin the legal process and terminate your marriage relatively quickly. North Carolina law does not give your spouse many options for contesting the divorce and you do not have to resolve issues of custody first.

Does Someone Have to Be at the Divorce Court Date in North Carolina?

In some respects, North Carolina is the easiest state in which to divorce. You don't have to divide your property or debts before filing, and it's not necessary to resolve issues of custody or support. The court can terminate your marriage without addressing any of these issues, but if you don't file a separate complaint to resolve property issues or alimony, you're barred from going back to court later to sort these things out. You don't have to appear in court to finalize the divorce itself, provided you have a lawyer.

Can Divorce Proceedings in Arizona Be Stop by the Petitioner?

If you've already filed for divorce in Arizona, but the divorce has not yet been finalized, you can stop the proceedings. However, the requirements for stopping the divorce differ, depending on how far along you are in the process.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Do You Tell the Court if You & Your Spouse Don't Want a Divorce Anymore?

When you take legal steps to end your marriage, you invite the court into your personal life. However, all states ...

Do Divorce Papers Expire if Not Served?

Divorce involves an intricate series of rules -- and many of them come with deadlines. Service of process is one such ...

How Do I File a Response to Divorce Papers?

The emotion of a divorce is often further complicated by the legal labyrinth you find yourself trying to navigate after ...

How Long Is an Automatic Stay After a Chapter 13 Dismissal?

Filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy creates a repayment plan that allows you to catch up on debt by making monthly ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED