How to Word a Will When You Have a Handicapped Child

By Brenna Davis

Parents who have special needs children not only have to care for the child during their lifetime, the parents must also ensure that these children receive care after they die. For many parents, this can mean making certain that the child has enough funds to cover medical care for his entire life. While the task may seem daunting, a properly worded will can ensure that your child gets the care he needs after you are gone. Further, the act of writing your will can help you with the financial planning aspect of your child's care by helping you think about what funds your child will need for long-term care.

Step 1

Appoint a guardian for your child in your will. This person should be someone who has a good relationship with your child, and who will love and care for him. Discuss guardianship with the proposed guardian, so you know that she is comfortable caring for your child. You may also want to discuss the specifics of your child's care with the guardian, and make sure that she knows all the child's medical needs, so that she can take proper care of the child.

Step 2

Create a special needs trust for your child. Special needs trusts are funds that are used to pay for medical care, as well as any additional needs and living expenses the child may have.Because wording a special needs trust can be complicated, it's wise to consult an online legal website that has experience with special needs children and their families.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Appoint a trustee to manage the trust's funds. Although many parents make the child's guardian the trustee, if the guardian is not responsible with money, you might want to choose someone else. Consider consulting a financial planner, who can recommend a professional trustee who has experience handling special needs trusts.

Step 4

Include "pour-over" language in the will and special needs trust. This is language that dictates that any property your child stands to inherit should go directly to the trust. For example, if your child will inherit your home, you may want to state in the will that the executor of your estate should sell the home and that the funds should go directly into the special needs trust.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
A Divorce With a Handicapped Child



Related articles

Reasons to Set Up an Inheritance Trust

A trust occurs when property, in the form of money, real estate or some other valuable item, is overseen by one person for the benefit of another. When trusts are used as part of an inheritance, a trustee typically administers the trust either by protecting the assets for a set period of time, spending the assets on an itemized list allowed in a will, or distributing the assets to beneficiaries in set amounts. These trusts are technically called testamentary trusts, but may be referred to as inheritance trusts, and they are always outlined in a last will and testament. There are several benefits to bequeathing property in a trust fund rather than directly to the beneficiary. If you have substantial assets and are not sure how to distribute them, consult a lawyer for advice on the best way to set up a trust fund.

How to Set Up a Trust for Minor Children

Setting up a trust is largely a matter of making long-term decisions. When you’re establishing one for children, the implications of those decisions may reach even further into the future. The advantage to this is that your wealth can hopefully grow and compound by the time it reaches their hands. A disadvantage is that you might have to predict and accommodate the adults they will eventually become.

How to Leave Money in a Will to Grandchildren for Education

When you bequeath property in a will to someone, she obtains total ownership over the property. While you may suggest in the will how you wish the property to be used by the recipient, once the probate process is closed, that person is not bound to follow your instructions. By creating a testamentary trust in your will, you can place restrictions on how the property you leave behind is to be used, which your beneficiaries must follow. This can be especially useful if you want to provide money for your grandchildren’s education, but want to ensure they don’t use those assets for something else.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

What Is Involved in Making a Will?

Your will is a legal document that explains how you want your property distributed after your death. If you have minor ...

Setting Up Guardianship in a Will

Probate courts appoint legal guardians to care for minor children if their parents die. A guardian ensures a child ...

Rights of a Legal Guardian if the Child Is a Trust Beneficiary

Estate planning becomes more complicated when young children are involved. Minors can't legally take control of their ...

The Rights & Responsibilities of a Temporary Guardian in Arkansas

A temporary guardian is a person appointed by the court to play the legal role of a child's parent, when parents are ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED