How to Write Children Out of a Will

By Teo Spengler

Most states in the United States allow parents to disinherit their children. An estranged child is only one possible scenario; parents may also cut off one adult child to assist another child who is disabled, in greater need or who helped the parents during the final years of their life. Most jurisdictions permit disinheritance of offspring for any reason, but protect against accidental disinheritance. The key to successfully writing a child out of a will is making clear that you acted deliberately.

Step 1

Prepare information and make essential decisions about your will. List your assets and the person or persons who you wish to inherit each asset. Name the person to receive any property you have not specially bequeathed. Decide who is to be your executor -- the person who is responsible for administering your estate. The executor's main job is to transfer the estate assets to the correct party after your death.

Step 2

Prepare a will using the above information. Add whatever other terms are necessary in your state to validate the will.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Draft a will provision mentioning each child that you wish to cut out of the will. Name the children, identify them as your children and specify that they are to receive nothing. Add an explanation if you wish, but refrain from making negative or aggressive statements about the children which might trigger a will contest. Some states require you to leave each child a token amount, such as $1.

Step 4

Consider -- as an alternative -- leaving each child something of value in your will -- for example, $1,000 -- then adding a no-contest clause. A no-contest clause -- formally termed an in terrorem clause -- is a provision in a will stating that any heir who unsuccessfully challenges the will forfeits his inheritance. This essentially punishes an heir for contesting a will. Most states enforce such clauses, though a few states, such as Florida, do not consider them valid.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
What Is the New Jersey Law Regarding Children Left Out of Wills?


Related articles

How to Prepare to Make a Will

Because a will is effective only upon death, it stands as your last statement to the world. A will contains final instructions, disposes of your property, names a guardian for your minor children and appoints an executor for your estate. Although you can modify your will during your lifetime, upon your death the terms are fixed and unalterable. Paying attention to preliminary details ensures that your final statement represents your true intentions. Consulting an attorney will ensure proper distribution of property

Children's Rights in Estate Wills

Your state’s laws determine who inherits your assets if you don’t have a valid will when you die; your spouse and children are among the first to receive property from your estate. However, you can change this “default” distribution scheme by creating a will describing how you want your property to be distributed. Your will can give inheritance rights to your children, though you cannot disinherit your spouse under most circumstances, even if you want to give his share to your children.

Ohio Adultery Laws on Child Support & Alimony

Marriages end for many reasons, including adultery, and Ohio allows spouses to use adultery as the reason for their divorce. Ohio courts may consider the adulterous spouse’s affair when deciding whether to grant a divorce and award alimony, but adultery generally does not affect a court’s child custody and child support decisions.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to Prepare a Will

A will is a document in which a person describes the management and distribution of her estate after her death. Per ...

How to Write a Will for Property

Modern courts make no distinction between the terms "will" and "testament." Both describe a document indicating who is ...

Divorce Law in Virginia & Taking Minor Children Out of State

With the breakup of a marriage, it may become necessary to move the children out of state. This common issue often ...

How to Write a Last Will

Fewer than half of American adults have a last will and testament, according to the American Bar Association. One ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED