How to Write a Codicil to a Will

By Anna Assad

A codicil allows you to amend a portion of your already written will without filing an entirely new will. Your codicil is a separate document that details what section of your will you are changing and the new provision. A codicil should be put with your existing will upon execution. If you filed your will for safekeeping in your local probate court, you should file the codicil in the court to avoid problems later.

Step 1

Review your original will. Write down the exact provision you are changing using the codicil. Note the location of the provision in your will, such as "Article 4" or "Line 3."

Step 2

Write your new provision down. Refer to the original provision's location and state in detail what is being changed.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Type your codicil. Use the same header for your codicil as you used in your original will. Include a sentence that references your original will by the exact date of the document. Insert your new provision. State all other provisions in the will are not being changed or modified and the document is not being revoked in its entirety by the codicil.

Step 4

Sign and date your codicil. Your codicil must be dated so the court is aware the document was made after your will. Have your codicil signed by witnesses if you are required to do so under state law.

Step 5

Put your codicil with your original will or file the document in probate court. Keep a copy of the codicil for your records.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Change the Name on a Social Security Card After a Birth Certificate Was Changed


Related articles

How to File a Motion for a New Pendente Lite Hearing for a Divorce

Pendente lite orders don’t last forever. They’re temporary until a judge rules on a final divorce decree, or until you and your spouse agree to a settlement the judge signs into a decree. If a judge issues a pendente lite order that you think is unfair, you can challenge it when you ultimately go to trial, or change it in your settlement agreement. However, you might not want to wait that long, especially if you're headed for trial. Judges often figure that if the terms of a pendente lite order work well while your divorce is pending, there’s no reason not to make them permanent in a decree.

How to Legally Change a Child's Last Name

Unless you wish to change the last name of a child you are adopting, you will need a court order to change either the first or last name of a minor child. Name changes are governed by state law, and these laws vary somewhat from state to state. Courts require an acceptable reason before they will grant a name change.

How to Modify Parenting Time After a Divorce

The original parenting time order following a divorce may not be practical after a period of time due to a change of circumstances. Parenting time, also known as visitation, is ordered and modified based on the laws of the state. Often, parents can agree on changing the parenting time schedule, but when they cannot, it will be up to the court to determine whether or not it would be in the best interests of the child to modify the arrangement.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

How to Make Changes to Wills in Georgia

If you live in Georgia, you may make changes to your will by executing a codicil. A codicil must comply with Georgia ...

How to Respond to a Post-Divorce Motion

Even though your marriage ends when the judge approves your divorce decree, it doesn't necessarily follow that your ...

How to File a Trial Brief for Divorce

Filing a divorce trial brief is different in different states and different counties within each state. This is because ...

How to Amend Divorce Papers

No matter how well-drafted and accurate your divorce papers are when you file them, you may subsequently need to amend ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED