How to Write a Letter to Claim a Deceased Relative's Estate

By Jennifer Williams

What happens when you know are an heir of an estate but aren't included in the will? This can happen if the deceased promised you property but never included you in the will, or if you are a child of the deceased born after the will was made. However, you've now been left out of the probate process, and ultimately, you will be left out of the property distribution if you don't act. File a Letter of Demand, or a Demand for Notice with the probate court. The Demand for Notice lets everyone, including the personal representative, other heirs and the court know you feel you have a right to inherit from the estate. After you file the Demand, the probate court includes you on the mailing list for all proceedings related to the decedent's estate.

Contents of the Letter

States such as Maine, Michigan, New Mexico and Arizona have statutes that list the exact information required by that state for inclusion in a valid Demand for Notice. Generally, enough information must be present for the court to identify you, identify your relationship with the deceased and identify the estate property to which you feel you are entitled. Many courts have forms that are pre-assembled for purchase if you wish to proceed without an attorney. More courts are also posting these forms online for free download. Otherwise, use an online legal document provider to create the Demand for Notice. Just make sure all the information required by the state where the probate is filed is included in the Demand.

How to File the Letter

Generally, the court must already have the probate open and the proceeding started before you can file the Demand Notice. In Michigan, however, you can file the Demand with the probate court after the decedent dies but before the will is submitted to the court, but you will have to pay the fees associated with opening probate. It is best to wait until the will has been filed with the court and probate has begun before filing the Demand. Use the case number assigned by the probate clerk on the Demand to tell the clerk in which proceeding to file the Demand. Don't rely on the court to provide copies of your Demand to the personal representative. Ask the probate clerk for a file-stamped copy of the Demand after you file it, and send it yourself to the estate's personal representative. This ensures that he or she receives prompt notice of your interest in the estate.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

What to Expect from the Court

After you file the Demand with the probate court, the court issues an order requiring that your name be included on the mailing list for all notices associated with the probate proceeding. That means you will receive notice of all hearings and meetings with the personal representative concerning the estate, just as with any other heir of record.

How to Participate in the Probate

Once you start receiving notice of scheduled hearings and meetings concerning the estate, attendance is up to you. However, attending all proceedings gives you a better understanding of how the probate is progressing, and lets the other heirs know that you are serious about your inheritance rights. It also gives you a chance to defend yourself right, than if any of the other heirs raise concerns about your right to inherit.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Request an Inheritance From an Executor


Related articles

How to Get Your Divorce to a Jury Trial in Georgia

Georgia divorce litigants have the right to have their divorce tried by a jury when the request for jury trial is made in writing and filed with the court before the case is called for trial. Generally a demand for jury trial is timely when included in the divorce petition or in the defendant spouse's answer, or in a counter-petition by the defendant. Jury trials are only provided in cases where responsive pleadings are filed, meaning the case must be contested, as there is no need for a jury to decide a case where there is no controversy between the parties.

How to File a Claim Against the Estate of a Deceased

If a person dies while owing you money, you may file a claim against the deceased's estate in probate court. Filing a claim doesn't guarantee you'll get your money, but it does notify the court and estate representative of the debt. Once you file the claim, the court must consider the debt and whether the estate can afford to pay it. Since states have different deadlines for filing creditor's claims against an estate, you must file your claim as soon as possible to protect your rights.

Contesting a Will in the State of Maryland

When a family member overlooks you in his will or snubs you by leaving you a negligible gift, you can't ask him why, but you may have recourse. You can contest or challenge the will, but the process isn't always without risk. The Orphans' Court oversees probate and will contests in Maryland, where will contests are called "caveat proceedings."

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to Claim Inherited Properties

A relative passes away and leaves his property to you, but you are not sure what to do next. Claiming inherited ...

Can I Make My Siblings Include Me on a Mother's Estate?

Your siblings usually can't prevent you from sharing in your mother's estate. State laws give you a share of your ...

How to Probate a Texas Last Will & Testament

A will may be probated in Texas in one of two ways: through an independent or a dependent administration. Independent ...

Can an Heir Force a Deceased Estate to Be Settled in the State of Georgia?

An estate settles eventually, with or without an heir’s instigation. This is particularly true in Georgia. The probate ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED